How to attach beam to house, help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akeyes

Reaction score
Need to attach this covered porch ceiling / roof to side of house. The long ledger for the ceiling rafters will be easy, just lag screws into studs...but I'm not sure how to attach the upright 2-2x10 beams to the house. These are mainly for looks and won't be supporting much weight other than it's own weight. Should I add a short ledger that anchors into only 2 or 3 studs, then use a joist hanger to hang the beam? Or run a jack stud down inside the wall to let the beam rest on the stud (basically put a post inside the wall for the beam to sit on)? Either way, I'm going to need to cut out a chunk of the plywood and somehow attach this 15 foot long 2-2x10 beam to the house. Any suggestions? Thanks!

question2.jpg

Welcome to the site.
For a beam carrying weight you want to set it on jack studs in the wall or hang it on full sized studs in the wall.
If this is just decoration I would look at building a fake beam hanging off the joist system.

You're calling it an upright 2x10 but your drawing notes a horizontal beam. If you're referring to attaching the end of that beam to the wall, my question is why are you even installing that beam there at all?
Your rafters will be attached at the ledger and the beam.

but I'm not sure how to attach the upright 2-2x10 beams to the house. These are mainly for looks and won't be supporting much weight other than it's own weight.

To believe the premise, that the doubler is only decorative, you also have to believe that they could be omitted and you could stand on either edge and there would be no deflection in the roof panel.

There are several methods that can be employed to attach the doubler to the ledger, such as, end nailing the outside doubler to the ledger, install the inside and add an A35N, or you can select from on of these that apply; http://www.strongtie.com/woodconnectors/category?v=:name-asc
HUC,HUCQ,MBHA,MGT,OHA and THA.

Thanks guys. The long 2-2x10 front beam supports the weight of the ceiling rafters and roof rafters. The side 2-2x10 connects to the house, but is mainly decorative other than that (it matches the style of our front porch, which is why I have it). I ended up cutting a hole in the plywood, anchoring a mini ledger (about 3 ft long) to 3 studs and hanging the 2-2x10 beam with a joist hanger. Worked great! Now I'll do the other side beam, then I can hang the 2 long ledgers to attach all the ceiling and roof rafters!

Back