How to cap angle stop

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
How do I cap a 3/8 compression outlet from angle stop to a toilet? I searched my local hardware store without finding any kind of cap that will fit the angle stop thread. I expect this is simple for someone who knows what they are doing. Thanks. [explanation for capping is below]

The angle stop will not shut off completely and work on the toilet will likely take longer than acceptable to turn off water to house. I would replace it but the supply pipe extends about 3 inches from the wall and is covered by a decorative metal sleeve that turns freely and I don't want to chance the supply coming loose in the wall if I try to unscrew the angle stop. The options for replacing the angle stop (1: crushing the sleeve tightly enough that the supply pipe won't turn; 2: cutting off the sleeve) sound like a lot more effort and more uncertainty than just capping the angle stop.

I carry a pair in my plumbing box just for this purpose. Could swear I got them from the big box store. Somewhere in the brass fittings area.

I carry a pair in my plumbing box just for this purpose. Could swear I got them from the big box store. Somewhere in the brass fittings area.
Thanks KOK, but, ummm.... a pair of what? Since my local Ace didn't have anything that worked, I drove 15 miles to HD and found a brass cap - which I presume is what you were referring to.

If anyone knows of a make-do solution, I would like to hear it.

At ACE is the PLACE, they carry 3/8 comp too 1/2 pipe, so nipple & cap.

Thanks KOK, but, ummm.... a pair of what? Since my local Ace didn't have anything that worked, I drove 15 miles to HD and found a brass cap - which I presume is what you were referring to.

If anyone knows of a make-do solution, I would like to hear it.
A pair of caps. Use these and get the removal tool and your all set.
Sharkbite Cap

Wow! Clicked on that link and got a ton of pop ins from Home Depot!

Back