How to clean and replace glass?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
On these French doors, all of the panes need to be fixed, and 1 needs to be replaced.

What's the process for cleaning? And for replacing the 1 pane?

More information please.

You have been a member here long enough to know that no one here is a mind reader. You could be talking about any one out of hundreds different door and window possibilities.

Clean the glass with Windex or better yet white vinegar.

More information please.

You have been a member here long enough to know that no one here is a mind reader. You could be talking about any one out of hundreds different door and window possibilities.

Agreed!

To clean a glass pane I use windex and paper towels.

More information please.

I forgot to attach this.

Attachments

• 0712181440.jpg
    0712181440.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 13
If that is paint use a razor blade scraper to scrape it off.

What about replacing the broken pane?

You need to remove what is holding the glass in. An exterior window that would removing the putty and glazers points. Being an inside door there could be a wooden molding that comes out.

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but any door manufactured after 1980 requires the utilization of safety glazing meeting Z97.1 and CPSC requirements. Current IBC code requires that you must bring entire door into compliance when replacing glass. Meaning all panes must be re-glazed with tempered glass, laminated glass, plexiglass (not recommended) polycarbonate (coated if possible. This is a legal obligation, if anyone gets hurt from non-complying glazing even after you sell the home, you could be held liable . Have been in the construction and window business for over 45 years, I know of what I speak. Check general condition of door, may be less expensive to purchase new door.

Back