How to clean deck stain off siding and stone? Or paint over it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
In the house we bought previous owners did a terrible job staining their deck. The deck itself is not the problem. The problem is that they splashed the red stain on the bottom of the siding and the stone walls. Apologies for the low-res photo but I think the stains are visible.

We can potentially paint the siding but that would require painting the whole wall not just the bottom. Also, I am assuming we can't really paint the stone walls for them not to look like patchwork afterwards.

So is our only feasible option to try removing the stain from the walls? How would I do that? Can the stone be cleaned well enough to look natural not "cleaned"?

Or is there a way to paint over?

I don't know what type of stain they used.

TIA!
PXL_20210213_173210266.jpg

I'd try a pressure washer on the stone and try and match the vinyl siding with new pieces. If you can't find an exact match, you could pull a piece from a less visible area of the house, install the new piece there and then put the piece you robbed by the deck. Vinyl siding is not that difficult if you take your time and don't handle it roughly. I'd try that before you paint, because painting will be a maintiance issue from here on out.

I'd try a pressure washer on the stone.

Since stone and mortar are porous, I am assuming the stain penetrated both at least to some extent. Would pressure washing work? Assuming the stain is oil based, would using the same chemicals that are used to clean brushes work to remove the stain?

Back