How to connect to these copper pipes?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
The OD reads 1/2". But neither 1/2" or 3/8" Sharkbite will fit.

Attachments

• 0611181318.jpg
    0611181318.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 48
Why Sharkbite? Solder or compression is your best bet, and will last a lifetime.

Looks like 1/2". Sharkbites don't require tools or much skill, so there is that.

I have not much knowledge about this, so you can take the advice from anytimehvac. They can guide you better.

Is this pipe or tube? The dimensions will be different. If couplers and shark bites don't fit, it is most likely tubing.

Did you follow the advice about filing off any burrs and sanding the pipe?
I sure looks like 1/2 copper tubing, if after cleaning it and a 1/2 fitting will not work since in what looks like an outside wall it may well have frozen at some point and swollen up.

The copper looks like it may have some age on it. I have heard some of the guys that have been around a while refer to "old 3/4" or "old 1/2" tubing where the sizing is off enough that fittings won't fit correctly. It many of those cases, the fittings can be found in companies that are more involved with HVAC supplies than plumbing. I'd give one of those places a try....

I have heard the demensions of copper plumbing pipe is different than coper HVAC tubing .

Wyr
God bless

As best as you can measure, what is the outside diameter of the pipe ?

This looks to be an outside location. If the tubing was subjected to freezing temperatures it will not always break. It will expand and any fitting is useless. You have to find a piece that has not been frozen and it should be sized correctly.

Latest posts

Back