How to decor this fireplace?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Design' started by Zig, Mar 29, 2007.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 29, 2007 #1

Zig

Zig

Zig

Hello all,

I have this self standing wood burning fireplace/room divider that seperate the family room from the dining room.

I'm looking to put a new look on this "ugly dark brown panel" I believe it's supporting wall so can't move and i just put some new hard wood flooring 2 yr ago.

I'm looking for suggestions/ inputs.

BTW, I'm going to take those old red bricks and replace with new brighter color tile or marble in front of the fireplace.

Thx

Link to the picture :

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9623/fireplaceik4.jpg

2. Mar 29, 2007 #2

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

Here's some suggestions;
    1- Face the whole wall with marble or ?
    2- Remove the wood and repair the drywall and paint.
    3- Tile the floor and the two sides all the way up to the ceiling and then inlay Marble or ?
    4- Build a mantle and place it about 4-5 Feet above floor. Then run from bottom of mantle to floor the same width as between the firplace and outside wall with either Primed flat stock or flutes to create a pilar look. Then with the paneling gone you can repair and paint and hang a nice picture.
    Just a few idea's.

3. Apr 3, 2007 #3

Zig

Zig

Zig

Thx for the reply.
    I'd prolly go with #2 as I don't want to spend too much because we're planning to move to a bigger house as our family grows. And also, the house was built with very stabdard stuff and nothing fancy at all. ( The other options seem to cost a lot more $$ )

I also consider #4
    But what do you mean "running from bottom of mantle to floor the same width as between fireplace wall and outside wall " ?

The way I understand it is : If I do the I do the pillar face, they should not be longer than the space between the fireplace and the wall on the left of the picture?

4. Apr 9, 2007 #4

Zig

Zig

Zig

5. Apr 10, 2007 #5

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

I have realized that a regular mantle won't work oops, so here is another idea. Run a piece of 1x stock between the outside wall and fireplace opening, place a base shoe at the bottom first then make a decorative piece for the top and put candle sticks on them ( see pic) . Remove the wood and repair the drywall and paint.

minimantles.jpg