How to decor this fireplace?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zig

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have this self standing wood burning fireplace/room divider that seperate the family room from the dining room.

I'm looking to put a new look on this "ugly dark brown panel" I believe it's supporting wall so can't move and i just put some new hard wood flooring 2 yr ago.

I'm looking for suggestions/ inputs.

BTW, I'm going to take those old red bricks and replace with new brighter color tile or marble in front of the fireplace.

Thx

Link to the picture :

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9623/fireplaceik4.jpg

Here's some suggestions;
1- Face the whole wall with marble or ?
2- Remove the wood and repair the drywall and paint.
3- Tile the floor and the two sides all the way up to the ceiling and then inlay Marble or ?
4- Build a mantle and place it about 4-5 Feet above floor. Then run from bottom of mantle to floor the same width as between the firplace and outside wall with either Primed flat stock or flutes to create a pilar look. Then with the paneling gone you can repair and paint and hang a nice picture.
Just a few idea's.

Thx for the reply.
I'd prolly go with #2 as I don't want to spend too much because we're planning to move to a bigger house as our family grows. And also, the house was built with very stabdard stuff and nothing fancy at all. ( The other options seem to cost a lot more $$ )

I also consider #4
But what do you mean "running from bottom of mantle to floor the same width as between fireplace wall and outside wall " ?

The way I understand it is : If I do the I do the pillar face, they should not be longer than the space between the fireplace and the wall on the left of the picture?

I have realized that a regular mantle won't work oops, so here is another idea. Run a piece of 1x stock between the outside wall and fireplace opening, place a base shoe at the bottom first then make a decorative piece for the top and put candle sticks on them ( see pic) . Remove the wood and repair the drywall and paint.

minimantles.jpg

Back