How to do this double sink with Studor vent for center island?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay.

I bought this garbage disposal installation kit. Comes with everything I need. Only problem is there are no clean out.

The P-Trap they sell with slip joints do not have cleanouts. Only the glue ones do.

Maybe I could add a clean out below the AAV?
You do not need the cleanout on the slip joint traps because you are able to take the trap apart to clean it. If you get something large lodged in it, you can unscrew it (with a bucket underneath to catch water and crud), run a bottle brush through it, and rinse it with water from a side sprayer or use an outdoor hose to spray it out. While the trap is apart, you can run a snake/auger through the pipes under the AAV.

Do slip joints require thread tape?
No. Slip joints do not require thread tape and some manufacturers recommend against using it. They come with rubber & plastic gaskets/washers to help them seal.

Do I use primer with this PVC cement?
I'm not sure on the cement and primer. What do the instructions on the cement bottle say?
I believe I have used the clear pvc without a primer, but I don't know if that is the proper way to do it.
If an inspector is going to look at things, they like to see the purple primer. But, best thing to do is defer to instructions. They should say on the bottle whether or not it requires primer. You might need a magnifying glass to read the small print though-- I can never read that tiny print without reading glasses.
Here is a link to the product on Oatey's official page along with a video on how to properly apply the cement. https://www.oatey.com/2374310/Product/Oatey-Medium-Clear-PVC-Cement

What piece do I use to attach this trap arm to a regular 1.5" PVC pipe?
I believe you can use the trap adapter I previously linked. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-Pipe-1-1-2-in-Dia-PVC-Trap-Adapter-Fitting/3132641 (Assuming you have 1-1/2" there). They sell them at Home Depot as well https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-PVC-DWV-Hub-x-SJ-Trap-Adapter-C48017HD112/100345781.
The threaded end would attach to the horizontal run on the end to attach the hub and then the other side of the hub/adapter would glue on to the rest. I'm not sure if it would fit inside of the sanitary tee or if it would need a small run of PVC in between. I would have to compare the pieces. If you are in doubt, you can post a question about the products on the HomeDepot page (for any products that are offered there) and people can answer specific questions-- although sometimes the laymen are incorrect. Or you can look for the parts in the store and compare them and make sure things fit together.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure how a person can lay out their kitchen island and buy all the parts and do all the labor without already knowing the answers to some of these questions. Especially since the the island is completely reliant on an AAV. How could you NOT KNOW how to install one at this point in the project?

Sorry for the rant. I'm just exasperated reading this.

I think different people have a different process. Some like to "wing it" and then others like to research first.
There are renovation shows where the people start a project, do the layout, and then buy the parts before they really research how things are supposed to go because they didn't think about it beforehand and then when it comes time to do it, they realize they aren't sure.

But, the frustration is understandable.

What choice does FJ have now? If the AAV was impossible to use, the island would be wasted. Or he would have to put it in and pray that nothing went wrong. Soooo much better to understand it before you commit time and money.

maybe that what makes me slow............but steady?

This seems like it should work, but it's not.

Trap arm, slip joint nut and washer that came with the set, and male adapter.

There is not enough area that is screwed on to keep this together. Do I need a nut with a longer threaded area?

0304181941.jpg

I'm not really sure how a person can lay out their kitchen island and buy all the parts and do all the labor without already knowing the answers to some of these questions. Especially since the the island is completely reliant on an AAV. How could you NOT KNOW how to install one at this point in the project?

Sorry for the rant. I'm just exasperated reading this.

Because I'm flipping this house. This is my first one. If I do it again, I'll plan better next time.

Does the threaded part slip over the tailpipe? Have you tried a smaller gasket-- one of the plastic ones instead of rubber?

Bump the gasket further up the pipe and see if that helps?

I was hoping this would work. Not sure why it isn't fitting together properly. Hoping you can make it work.

I wish I could be of more help, but since I haven't taken on the repairs in my home yet and my sinks are s-trapped, I haven't tried to fit this together. I know my friend was able to make it work when he installed an AAV in his bathroom sink. Maybe I can get him to take a picture for me and try to remember what he did.

Did the trap adapter you got come with a twist on part? Like this? https://www.supply.com/shop?nid=487...MIiMe2ic_U2QIViZ9-Ch1CLgXsEAYYASABEgIlnPD_BwE

Also, in this video it looks like there is a PVC slip joint and adapter connecting to ABS and an AAV is on top. Not sure if this helps at all bc he didn't connect the ABS part to the adapter in the video.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-rxogXPLKk[/ame]

Last edited:
Does the threaded part slip over the tailpipe? Have you tried a smaller gasket-- one of the plastic ones instead of rubber?

Bump the gasket further up the pipe and see if that helps?

I was hoping this would work. Not sure why it isn't fitting together properly. Hoping you can make it work.

I wish I could be of more help, but since I haven't taken on the repairs in my home yet and my sinks are s-trapped, I haven't tried to fit this together. I know my friend was able to make it work when he installed an AAV in his bathroom sink. Maybe I can get him to take a picture for me and try to remember what he did.

Did the trap adapter you got come with a twist on part? Like this? https://www.supply.com/shop?nid=487...MIiMe2ic_U2QIViZ9-Ch1CLgXsEAYYASABEgIlnPD_BwE

Also, in this video it looks like there is a PVC slip joint and adapter connecting to ABS and an AAV is on top. Not sure if this helps at all bc he didn't connect the ABS part to the adapter in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-rxogXPLKk

Pretty sure the problem is that I bought a male adapter rather than a trap adapter.

Pretty sure the problem is that I bought a male adapter rather than a trap adapter.
Ok. I might have referred you to the wrong product to begin with. I'm going to need to find the right parts when I fix the s-traps in my house, so it's something to keep in mind. The Nibco one I linked should be the right one-- I think the big box stores do carry those though.

Please let me know if it works when you get the trap adapter.

Ok. I might have referred you to the wrong product to begin with. I'm going to need to find the right parts when I fix the s-traps in my house, so it's something to keep in mind. The Nibco one I linked should be the right one-- I think the big box stores do carry those though.

Please let me know if it works when you get the trap adapter.

No it was my fault. I grabbed the wrong thing.

That looks like it will work, the dishwasher water line could be coiled up and tied with a twist tie and tucked in the back.

That looks like it will work, the dishwasher water line could be coiled up and tied with a twist tie and tucked in the back.

I could do that. It's gonna be "fun" fishing all that wire through the flexible conduit tomorrow. I bought a nylon fish tape because I don't think the steel would be flexible enough.

I could do that. It's gonna be "fun" fishing all that wire through the flexible conduit tomorrow. I bought a nylon fish tape because I don't think the steel would be flexible enough.
I have never had that task, On a bigger job that I was on they used air or vacuum to run a mouse and string thru the pipe.
When they plumb new houses with conduit to the rood they install a string as they install the pipe.

Looks good! There is room to unscrew the AAV to replace it in case of a problem in the future, right?
Nylon fishing line should work, hopefully.

Looks good! There is room to unscrew the AAV to replace it in case of a problem in the future, right?
Nylon fishing line should work, hopefully.

Yes, there is room.

If nylon tape won't work, I don't know what will.

Why do my garbage disposal always leak from the horizontal piece? I just screw that metal piece with 2 screws? This happened on this one, and mine at home yesterday.

Edit: Apparently I'm missing a gasket on both.

Last edited:
Yeah, some garbage disposals have a straight pipe like that and there is a gasket that needs to go there.
Hopefully you can get it fixed quickly and easily.

Looks better than the mess under my sink. I had the pipe connecting to the s-trap come apart so I secured it with a rubberband. I'll be fixing it when I renovate the plumbing system.

Back