How to fix door hinge

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianeS

Reaction score
My exterior door is sagging slightly and won't close as tight as it should. To fix this, I want to tighten the door hinge. Problem is, the screws are as tight as they can get. I can't tighten it any further. Any ideas how to fix?

I don't know the construction details to explain exactly why this works - hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help us out - but to fix what sounds like the same situation I replaced the screws in the upper hinge with 4" screws. That would probably work if you drill pilot holes and lubricate the screws with wax but it is much easier to use and impact driver, a tool well worth having for any homeowner.

I think the hinges won't have enough strength to hold up the weight of the door. I think the flanges of the hinges length are not enough to make up for the door. I think it's better to replace the hinges with lengthy flange hinges to make your door perfectly fit.

What @tomtheelder2020 is saying, is that your hinges are screwed to the door jamb. Then there are some shims to level out the jamb, then the framing. So to use much longer screws, so that you are fixtured to the framing. More robust. Door jamb could have moved a little, or warped or....
Hopefully, the longer screws will be straight (unthreaded) where the go through the jamb. Otherwise you might have to drill out the old hole a bit, or else the screw threaded simultaneously in both the jamb and framing, will be trying to maintain that distance rather than pulling the jamb tight.

Attachments

• Door Mounting.jpg
    Door Mounting.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back