How to fix wet carpet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackconsult

Reaction score
Xmas eve morning my wife calls me and says the carpet is wet in our closets of the master bed room. My first instruction was to have her go turn the water main off. I got home about 2 pm and saw that yes the carpets in the closets was all wet, but the sheet-rock looked fine around the area. I went outside and pulled the water spigot out that is mounted on the outside wall right in the area of these two closets. Sure enough there was a crack in the copper part of the water spigot. $35 later and the water leak was fixed :beer:

Now what to do with all the 50 ft^2 of wet carpet. Already have a call into my insurance, and a contractor who can pull the carpet up. I am planning on having him just pull the carpet back, then my wife and I will cut away the water soaked pad. Have a big fan from the shop that I can use to dry the sub floor. Then hopefully a few days later will be able to put some new padding down, and was going to have him come and re-install the carpet using his stretcher.

Does this sound like the best way to do it? Any comments on the carpet part? I.E. should I try and pull it up myself and just have him re-install it?

A good shop vac wet or dry type will suck a lot of water out of the pad and carpet. Then towels and walking on them to press the water up and finally a dehumidifier and or a small heater. That’s what I would do.

Nothing wrong with your approach though that’s sure to get it all good and dry. If it was clean water I guess I wouldn’t be as worried.

What did your insurance recommend? I just bought 700 sq ft of laminate flooring from a couple off line because their dishwasher leaked and messed up about 10 sq ft of the floor. The insurance paid for a whole new floor as that floor couldn’t be matched. It was only a couple years old and looked new and is now in my kitchen and soon to be in the man cave. It’s hard to figure what they will do or suggest.

Well I went ahead and pulled the carpet up, and cut out as much foam padding as possible. Then I rented two carpet dryers from parkrose hardware and propped the carpet up with a cutting board. Will let these fans run for 24 hours and see were we are at. The sub floor looks fine at least.

As long as the carpet doesn't delaminate, you will be fine. Just remember that carpet is glued together with latex (water soluble) adhesive.

Its all dry and no delaminated carpet. Next is to get some padding for free on craigslist, buy new tack strips, and then rent a knee carpet installer.

Should be back in shape by end of the weekend :beer:

I have thrown padding over a clothes line to dry and then when it rained I run a rope across the garage and hung it there. When you think thew sub floor is dry leave a peice of plactic sheeting on it over nite. If it has misture under it in the morning it is not dry enough. You can rent a moisture meter, you want to be well below 15%.
And don't leave hoses attched to the taps in the winter.

Back