How to get these three outlets working?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wire nut all the blacks togather, add a pigtail wire
wire nut all the whites togather, add a pigtail
wire nut all the grounds and add a pigtail

shove the wire nutted wires into the box
connect the black, white, green to the new plug in device

"Pigtail'' a piece of wire about 6'' long

Yes, that is what I did and it's working. Now, I have power going in to my GFCI, but not out.

I posted all the details and pictures on the response above.

Push test and reset on the gfci?????????

That was it!

Lol.

However, the one in the small bathroom still doesn't work. (The pic with the 3 loose wires). Wires still read zero.

Where do I start on solving that issue?

On the back of the GFCI it says "line" and "load", it also says"black" and "white".

It appears from the photo, the the GFCI is incorrectly wired.

A correctly wired GFCI will operate the "TEST", "RESET" functions.

That was it!

Lol.

However, the one in the small bathroom still doesn't work. (The pic with the 3 loose wires). Wires still read zero.

Where do I start on solving that issue?

You have to find where the power is supposed to be coming from. Good luck.

On the back of the GFCI it says "line" and "load", it also says"black" and "white".

It appears from the photo, the the GFCI is incorrectly wired.

A correctly wired GFCI will operate the "TEST", "RESET" functions.

It's wired correctly and works fine.

Now, this is the only one that doesn't work.

0925171614.jpg

The bathroom should be on a gfci and if that was not one search the house for one more and reset it.

The bathroom should be on a gfci and if that was not one search the house for one more and reset it.

There is no other GFCI in the house. I found the breaker that controls the switch right next to the non-working outlet. I know it's no guarantee that it also controls the outlet, but it couldn't be a bad first guess.

The sheathing from the non-working outlet goes up.

Here is a picture of everything else that breaker controls. There's a switch and an outlet in the bedroom, a switch and outlet in the bathroom (assuming the outlet is on this same breaker), and there's also an outlet on the other side of the wall to the outlet in the bedroom.

Whatever is powering the outlet is coming from above. Could it be the bathroom light?

Let's assume for now that I have the correct breaker. What's my next step to find the source of the problem?

If it's not this breaker, there's only one other breaker it could be.

0929171834.jpg

Last edited:
With prefab walls it would be hard to say where the wires might be going. If a switch has 1 cable the power is going to the light first. If the switch has two cables, 1 has power the other is going to the light.
If the switch has three cables one of them might be the one you are looking for.

Outlets that have 2 cables could be the one. and then I would be checking both sides of that or those looking for one that has power on one side only.

If a critter has chewed a wire in half it will be impossible to find. You would have to know where the other end was to do a continuity test on it.

A light fixture with three cables could also be the guy. It should have been a gfci?????????

With prefab walls it would be hard to say where the wires might be going. If a switch has 1 cable the power is going to the light first. If the switch has two cables, 1 has power the other is going to the light.
If the switch has three cables one of them might be the one you are looking for.

Outlets that have 2 cables could be the one. and then I would be checking both sides of that or those looking for one that has power on one side only.

If a critter has chewed a wire in half it will be impossible to find. You would have to know where the other end was to do a continuity test on it.

A light fixture with three cables could also be the guy. It should have been a gfci?????????

How will I know when I found "the guy?" Especially since all other switches, outlets, and light fixtures work?

But at least I know what to look for with number of wires.

Here are the number of wires for everything on this breaker:

Light switch in bedroom = 2
Outlet in bedroom = 2
Outlet on other side of wall = 3
Light switch in bathroom next to non-working outlet = 2
Non-working outlet = 1

I also found 2 other light switches (and their corresponding fixtures that are on this breaker, but they are on the opposite end of the mobile home, one of the lights is exterior).

The breaker is 1/2 of a breaker. I think it's 20 amp. Pic attached.

1506730009006538711778.jpg

Last edited:
What you are looking for is one that is working but something funky about one of the wires, loose connection, burnt or broken wire. Obviously power going in one side and dead on the other side.

How will I know when I found "the guy?" Especially since all other switches, outlets, and light fixtures work?

But at least I know what to look for with number of wires.

Here are the number of wires for everything on this breaker:

Light switch in bedroom = 2
Outlet in bedroom = 2
Outlet on other side of wall = 3
Light switch in bathroom next to non-working outlet = 2
Non-working outlet = 1

I also found 2 other light switches (and their corresponding fixtures that are on this breaker, but they are on the opposite end of the mobile home, one of the lights is exterior).

The breaker is 1/2 of a breaker. I think it's 20 amp. Pic attached.

John If you pull the wires out of an outlet and turn the breaker back on and map every outlet that no longer works you will know then which outlets are on each circuits.

When you find one that when you disconnect the wires and nothing else stops working you may have found the wire,

I would pull the cover off the panel and see if that breaker has a wire going to it.

turn breaker off
remove the gfi. separate the wires
turn the breaker on
touch this Test_Lamp.jpg
to the wires that are exposed, when it lights up, the wires are hot

now, plug in your whatever/toaster into an outlet to see which outlets do not work
when you find the dead outlet,
remove the plug in device
separate the wires
wire nut your tester onto the wires
GO BACK to the box where you have power
touch the wires together. while looking over at your tester
when it lights up. bingo !!!!!
rinse and repeat

John If you pull the wires out of an outlet and turn the breaker back on and map every outlet that no longer works you will know then which outlets are on each circuits.

When you find one that when you disconnect the wires and nothing else stops working you may have found the wire,

I would pull the cover off the panel and see if that breaker has a wire going to it.

There are two black wires connected to this breaker. One goes up, the other down.

So this means that this breaker is divided in two?

I am currently reattaching the outlets that I took off (replacing them with normal outlets)

0929172138.jpg

turn breaker off
remove the gfi. separate the wires
turn the breaker on
touch this View attachment 14767
to the wires that are exposed, when it lights up, the wires are hot

now, plug in your whatever/toaster into an outlet to see which outlets do not work
when you find the dead outlet,
remove the plug in device
separate the wires
wire nut your tester onto the wires
GO BACK to the box where you have power
touch the wires together. while looking over at your tester
when it lights up. bingo !!!!!
rinse and repeat

But the circuit with the GFCI works fine?

I am trying to replace the mobile home switch with a normal one. I can do this for outlets, but switches seem to be different. There are 2 brass screws, a ground, and a BLACK. What's the black? Is that where I put both white wires to?

I am in the process of using process of elimination to see which wires go where.

switches are different
wire nut all the whites together
the black goes to the switch

ZAP.png

white wire goes to the black screw IF you are wireing a 3 way switch

XTWbA.jpg

INTERMISSION

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--AvCsh48bk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--AvCsh48bk[/ame]

............[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt_8aDOJvtM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt_8aDOJvtM[/ame]

Back