How to insulate the bottom of external door that has no threshold

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejudgie

Reaction score
One of my 4 external doors does not have a threshold adjustment (or at least I don't see it).
When I installed all new sweeps last year I adjusted all of the thresholds but this one.
Now (not surprisingly) this sweep has been ripped to shreds.
Is there a better way to insulate these types of external doors or am I just missing something obvious?
Attaching some photos to help show what I am seeing:

View attachment 28417
IMG_9720.jpg
IMG_9719.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9721.jpg
    IMG_9721.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
If you use the U shaped door sweep, you can adjust the height of the sweep.

And it rather looks like it might seal up well with the style in the second photo -- sealing on the face of the sill.

Attachments

• Door Sweeps.jpg
    Door Sweeps.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Thank you. Yea maybe a U shaped one might be the answer. There isn't much clearance however.
In the photo you posted I see the U shaped sweep but is the weather strip also something I would want? If so would that go on the inside or outside?

Weather strip?
You mean on the sides and top ? absolutely.

On the bottom, I think the door sweep should be doing all the sealing.

In our last house, we had the same problem, went with the "U" shaped sealer, and it worked ok, but now the best... So the wife bought one of those sock seals...It's a heavy sock,, the width of the door, and you lay it down between the floor and the door... pain in the a55 if it's a door you use a lot... but it did work...

Weather strip?
You mean on the sides and top ? absolutely.

On the bottom, I think the door sweep should be doing all the sealing.
ok, thanks. Yes I have weather stripping on sides and top already. I was thinking there was something else I needed since your attached image on the right showed a "sweep weather strip".

In our last house, we had the same problem, went with the "U" shaped sealer, and it worked ok, but now the best... So the wife bought one of those sock seals...It's a heavy sock,, the width of the door, and you lay it down between the floor and the door... pain in the a55 if it's a door you use a lot... but it did work...
Thanks. I have heard of those too.

heres a place i purchased a sweep from. my problem is when they installed hardwood, they built up the threshold, so i needed a deeper sweep. i had to remove that extra threshold because i removed the hardwood (prior owner had a dog who pee'd in the foyer, so much, that it buckled the hw in the entryway. the prior owner two way taped a rug down so i couldn't be examined - and then lied about it when we questioned her. also, the "owner" was also the agent selling her own home -DON'T EVER BUY A HOME FROM AN OWNER/AGENT! anyway, its a good thing we did rip up the hw as i found a gaping hole (12x24) at the back door sub floor!! back to the door sweep: Door Bottom Sweeps
HTH

Back