How to make sure this carport doesn't fall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
This originally had 3 posts holding it up. 2 of them had gradually bent. On 5/28/18, two new posts were added, and one of the bent posts was replaced. The remaining post that was bent has gotten worse.

What is the best thing to do?

Attachments

• 3496.jpeg
    3496.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 977.jpeg
    977.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 9165.jpeg
    9165.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 45
The best thing to do is stop running into them.

I would replace them with custom structural steel square tubing sitting on concrete piers. A column strength calculation would need to be made based on the height and roof loadings. You should get a pro to do that. he can also advise as to depth of the footing and what kind of a cage should go inside the pour.

If I were going to replace with what was there I would put a crash post ahead of it like they install at connivance stores.

Bud's crash post is a bollard, 3" steel pipe filled with concrete and set in concrete like a fence post, set in place to take the hit before the structural post gets hit.

Bud's crash post is a bollard, 3" steel pipe filled with concrete and set in concrete like a fence post, set in place to take the hit before the structural post gets hit.

I don't know that I can set it in concrete with the slab there.

I don't know that I can set it in concrete with the slab there.

The best thing to do is stop running into them.

I would replace them with custom structural steel square tubing sitting on concrete piers. A column strength calculation would need to be made based on the height and roof loadings. You should get a pro to do that. he can also advise as to depth of the footing and what kind of a cage should go inside the pour.

If I were going to replace with what was there I would put a crash post ahead of it like they install at connivance stores.

Do you mean like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrete-Pier-Block-with-Metal-Bracket-8053112/202820094

If so, what is the benefit of putting it on this pier as oppose to having it fastened to the existing concrete slab?

You don't want to use the blocks. You want the bottom of the post fastened in place. Those blocks will move.

You want it solid so it does not move you can put it just to the side and forward of the 4x4 post on the grass side.
upload_2018-7-14_22-34-36.jpeg

dig a 3'-4' deep hole in front of the concrete pad and put the solid concrete filled post into the hole. You can buy these filled columns at any big box store.

Thinking about it a little...
We all went to the proper and very safe "by the book" approach, but really all you want is to prevent vehicles from bending your supports. Put a low fence along the outside of the carport. Something that will make noise when it is hit. 99% of drivers will stop when they hear the fence wrinkle and not get all the way to the posts.

if you've got a welder and your "decent" with it you can make the foot for a structural steel post. The foot weld isn't load bearing it just holds the foot in place. I make my own with scrap steel and a hobby welder. Side impact with steel of any kind is going to damage it so you should also think about putting something in front of them like a column to take the hit before the post... like the other posts mentioned.

You might even consider blocking off the uncovered area so it's not used like a parking lot.

you could also put one of those parking stops in front of the uncovered side so it prevents back up to the point the post is hit.
http://www.time2gonatural.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Concrete-Parking-Stops-Home-Depot.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about it a little...
We all went to the proper and very safe "by the book" approach, but really all you want is to prevent vehicles from bending your supports. Put a low fence along the outside of the carport. Something that will make noise when it is hit. 99% of drivers will stop when they hear the fence wrinkle and not get all the way to the posts.

False. I never once mentioned a vehicle. I don't believe that a vehicle did this. It was the weight of the carport over time. And there is no debris on top, btw.

Back