How to paint metal so it doesn't wear off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I'm looking for an item made of metal but I can't find it in the color I want. I know there are paints for metal, but I don't want the paint to wear off: although the item will be kept inside it will get touched a lot. Is there a special type of paint I need to buy? Or a coating or something?

I think metal products have some sort of heat dried finish. Not necessarily for durability (though a hard finish is also more durable) but to speed production.

I'm guessing my concern will be about chemical reaction. I need a paint that won't get corroded by the oils in my fingers, and also won't get rubbed off from the friction of being touched either. (This will be a knob on a piece of electronic equipment.)

I've seen spray paints intended for engine parts. Would that work?

Last edited:
If you consider door knobs, you have probably noticed even metal plating gets worn off, after a while.
Paint is a lot softer than any metal plating.
Two part (post catalyzed) paints will hold up better, but if it gets handled a lot, will eventually wear.

Thanks. Based on this I decided just to settle for a different part.

if its small enough I think you can get a powdercoat kit at Hazard Frought (harbor freight) and bake it in your oven.... it's a bit pricey looking at it online for about $80 + paint... you could also see if you have a local powdercoat place if your only going to need it done once, but if you do that your next 6 projects will need to be powder coated without fail.

I will say that I always just default to primer and a rattle can with all my projects because it doesn't seem to matter what you put on it, if it highly used, it's going to need to be redone and regular old rattle can paint for metal is quick and cheap, but you won't win any awards.

I'm guessing my concern will be about chemical reaction. I need a paint that won't get corroded by the oils in my fingers, and also won't get rubbed off from the friction of being touched either. (This will be a knob on a piece of electronic equipment.)

I've seen spray paints intended for engine parts. Would that work?
The first key step is metal primer. Very lightly 'scuff' sand the knob to increase adhesion. Wipe off any dust. Then spray or use a brush to apply a thin coat of metal primer. Home Depot carries Rustoleum brand metal primer, for example, in cark gray, light gray and white. Pick the color closest to the paint to plan to apply. Let that dry thoroughly, then very lightly scuff sand the primer, and wipe off any dust. Then spray on a light coat of paint, e.g. the same brand of Rustoleum automotive paint. Let that dry thoroughly, then lightly scuff sand again - wipe dust off - and apply a second coat of paint. Rustoleum automative paint is oil based, so unlike acrylic it won't be damaged by the minmal oil on your fingers.

I hope this is helpful.

I hope this is helpful.
Thanks, yes it is! Though no longer for this particular project, where I decided to just go with a different product that was already the color I want. :p

I've had very good luck with Self-Etching primer, then a top coat or two of spray enamel. Lacquer works, too.
I use it in the bed of my tuck where it sees lots of abrasion. The self-etching grips both the metal and the paint.

Maybe spraying on a clear coat of lacquer or epoxy will give your part a more durable finish, but it'll eventually have the problems that Steve123 mentioned. (Door knobs, lamps, hinges & other brass household sutff have a clear coat over the plating.)

A paint chemist once told me that Rustoleum has fish oil in it, so it never dries completely. It feels dry, but isn't. That is why it's not terribly durable. You can scratch it with a fingernail. The never-drying additive is the magic behind why things painted with Rustoleum (and Krylon Rust Tough) don't rust. The paint expands & contracts well and never gets micro-cracks for moisture and oxygen to reach the metal. Cool, huh?

To ensure the paint on the metal item lasts and withstands frequent touching, look for a high-quality, durable metal paint specifically designed for indoor use. Consider epoxy-based or enamel paints, as they offer excellent adhesion and durability. Applying a clear coat or sealant intended for metal surfaces can provide extra protection and prevent the colour from wearing off. Proper surface preparation, cleaning, and following the manufacturer's instructions will help achieve a long-lasting finish.

Latest posts

Back