How to properly cut down this tree?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
Want to cut down this plum tree myself (I'm cheap :)) but without damaging my roof, snapping neighbor's cable or ending up in a hospital. :)

I have a chainsaw that I have used a lot to cut woodturning blanks and firewood but never to fell a tree.

Would you recommend cutting the whole tree at once? Or cutting the 3 big branches first? In either case, do I need any tools or accessories other than my chainsaw, safety gear and ladder to do it right?

Thank you!plum1.jpg plum2.jpg plum3.jpg plum4.jpg

I bought the Harbor Freight $60 electric pole saw and it would make an easy job of your tree. I can’t say enough how much I like this chainsaw.

With 6-7’ of reach standing on the ground and then the extension length you get up into some of the smaller limbs. I would nibble it away that way and work my way down. I cut down a maple a couple weeks ago about your size with it and it was touching the power lines. I cut firewood lengths with it while it is still in the tree.

Back