How to remove caulk from siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff Handy, thanks for the post! That tool is very different than the scraper that came with my rockwell tool 10+ years ago. Next time I run into sealant I will let you know how it worked (though that might be awhile).

Jeff Handy, thanks for posting the video! I was going to use the scraper, never used before, that came with my Rockwell tool 10+ years ago. It has a blade as broad as it is long - which might work but I have ordered a narrow one to compare.

I use old worn out oscillating tool blades. I have a few that the teeth have been worn flat and basically have turned into the one Jeff posted.

Zowie - wide blade works like a charm! Most caulk I am removing is where siding boards meet battens. The broad blade is especially good on the boards because its large areas helps keep the blade flat on the board. It doesn't work as well for scraping on the batten as only the corner of the blade is in contact. I suspect the long, narrow blade I ordered will work better for that cut.

Erick, I bought the Motsenbockers's caulk remover but doubt I will use it now that I know how well my oscillating tool works. I was concerned that the Motsenbocker's might leave a residue that would interfere with adhesion of new caulk & paint so now that I have an alternative it isn't worth taking a chance. Still, I am glad I have it. When the weather changes and I start doing most of my work inside I have caulk in bath and kitchen I need to replace.

Latest posts

Back