How to remove sediment from toilet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
Finished rehabbing a house that stood empty for a few months. Well water. One of the new Dulles was installed before all the other ones, now we have a sediment in the tank and the bowl. I think it came from pipes that were not used for a while. What's the best way to remove the sediment? Would it be a one-time cleaning or will I have to do it over and over again?

image000000.jpgimage000000(1).jpg

You may also want to remove all of the internal components temporarily to wash them in clean water & put them back together. The fill valve can get clogged with gunk and sometimes needs to be dismantled and cleaned (I found that out the hard way). Wipe everything down to make sure you got everything off of it. That hopefully would get rid of the sediment.

A nice feature the new fill valves have ( Fluidmaster) is you can pull the "keeper" ring up in the middle of the valve tube and the top assembly just slides off ..... you don't need to disassemble the supply line. I don't bother to clean them anymore ........ for the $10. they cost I just slide the old one off and replace the top about every six months.

400A.jpg

That is a nice feature. My fill valves don't have that so I just take them apart from the inside while water is shut off and clean them out. It really wasn't that hard. The entire fill valve does not need to come out for cleaning of course. There's some sort of rod with ridges on it on the inside that sometimes gets gunked up. I pulled it out and scrubbed it.

Back