How to remove texture from this ceiling trim?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
0427182338.jpg Or should I just replace the trim?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be tempted to remove and replace instead of trying to remove just the texture for several reasons.
Far less messy, it will come out smoother, far less elbow grease needed.
If it's painted texture it's not going to just wipe off.

If the texture was recently shot, then I agree, a wet rag will make fast work of removing it. It would have been even faster if the texture was removed as soon as the ceiling was shot, and even better would be to use blue tape so you didn't have anything to wipe off after the texture was applied.

If the texture was recently shot, then I agree, a wet rag will make fast work of removing it. It would have been even faster if the texture was removed as soon as the ceiling was shot, and even better would be to use blue tape so you didn't have anything to wipe off after the texture was applied.

It was sprayed 3 months ago.

I'm just gonna replace.

Texture compound is extremely water soluble. Have you even tried to use a wet rag?

Texture compound is extremely water soluble. Have you even tried to use a wet rag?

No, but I will. And I'll try a more abrasive scrubber if a plain rag doesn't work. If water doesn't work, is there any cleaning product or chemical you can think of that would strip it off even better than water?

Nope. Just warm water with a squirt of dish washing detergent to aid in keeping the scrubbing bubbles as a lubricant.

I know the popcorn type of texture will easily come off with water. That looks more like a joint compound type of texture. That will not come off easily and you may need to resort to replacing the crown there.

Back