How to repair the loose tiles in my kitchen?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z_johnq

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here.

The house I bought was built in 1979. The kitchen has a tile floor. But not the regular tile. It has about thousands of small pieces of tiles put together like kids' puzzle board. The spots of high traffic have loose tiles. I bought a bag of Flexbound from Home Depot. As I tried to fix it, I found what's under the tiles was something like powder, not like solid and hard background. I used vacumm to eliminate the powder and filled it with Flexbound mixture. Wait for about 12 hrs, it worked. But the problem is I cannot use just a single layer, its' much more than that. Because I had to fill over a inch deep after the powder is gone. Can I use cement to make it flat then use Flexbound?

Thanks in advance.

Take care.

Do you have a picture of the floor?

It may be easier to rip it up, put a new subfloor down, and tile it with real tiles. I have a feeling you will be 'fixing' these tiles more than just once. It may save you time, money, energy, and anguish in the end.

Unless you are attached to the thousands of small pieces of tile...

Thanks for replying.

Would you be able to tell me how to attach a pic?

Thanks again.

Attaching pics are easy here. If you scroll down from this message box, click on "Manage Attachments" click on "Browse" double click a pic on your computer, then click on "Upload"

Simple as that.

Oh, and :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried to attach the pics but it won't let me. Here is what I did. Click 'go advance' for replying (not 'quick reply'); then 'Manage Attachment'; then 'upload a file from your computer'; then 'browse'; then the screen will freeze. I will have to restart the Internet Explore.

I'm planning to clean up the loose stuff under the tiles, until I see solid ground (if I go deep, it will need lots of Flexbound; what about use cement to fill the dent first, then Flexbound); use some water to damp it; then apply Flexbound; later then grout it.

What would you say about that?

Thanks again.

John

Back