How to seal exterior corners of octagon tower?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimthewingman

Reaction score
Greetings, Does anyone have any suggestions for sealing the exterior corners of an octagon stairwell tower? Currently the corners need frequent caulking due to seasonal expansion of the butt-joint. The angle of each corner is 135 degrees (trim board ends are cut at 22.5 degrees). I made bent aluminum shields (as a test) and they kept the rain out but condensation would often develop under the aluminum on some mornings. Any ideas other than frequent caulking?

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_114750152.jpg
    IMG_20210902_114750152.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210902_114754650.jpg
    IMG_20210902_114754650.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 9
In addition to the lap joints, I'd consider using cellular PVC lumber (Azek is one brand) for the wood. I'd also have roofing felt or Tyvek behind the trim. I believe the Azek can be bonded together with a solvent adhesive that will turn it into essentially one piece.

Thx Sparky617, I'll purchase a piece of PVC trim lumber and experiment a bit with your bonding idea.

I have glued up PVC trim board many times.
I use PVC cement that I get in the plumbing department. "Clear" cement is a little less common, but still readily available.
When I tested the strength of the bonded joint, the PVC board broke at the parent board, not the joint.
Glue set-up time is very quick. If you are gluing long pieces, you will have to put some thought on how you are going to make a set up that you can quickly locate and clamp the two pieces.

Back