how to solve excessive HVAC noise?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemachos

Reaction score
I just moved into a lovely 2-floor 1200 ft2 condo but the I find the HVAC noise on the second floor to be reallybothersome, particularly at night. The landlord recognizes that the HVAC is noisy, but it never disturbed him as much as me and my kinds. The HVAC is about 5 years old, a 3.5 ton Carrier unit in the attic covering 2 zones. Besides the really loud noise of the forced air when the A/C is in operation, there are other components to the noise, which is best listened to. At about 2-3 feet from the register in one of the two rooms where the noise is loudest, the noise sound level was about 54 dB.
My landlord called an HVAC repair outfit which sent a technician who attributed the noise to some rather sharp angles in two of the ducts ("which create turbulence") but didn't do much more than lower the fan speed from medium to low, which barely made a difference. He said that the only way to achieve significant noise reduction would be to schedule another service call where two men would basically reconfigure the ducts (at $170/hour!).
To make matters worse, the HVAC technician told the landlord that he (the technician) liked the noise and that it was "white noise" (which isn't exactly true).Thus my landlord is hesitant to spend more money, stating "I stayed there for 3 years and never considered it bothersome personally so I’m having a hard time rationalizing this."
My question is this: are there any effective, relatively simple solutions to this problem?
I may be hypersensitive to this kind of noise at night, but my only other options at this point are to wear ear plugs or else turn the HVAC off at night, which isn't terribly practical given the Texas heat.
Many thanks in advance for your help!

You can redo the duct work to a larger size and slower bends, it will cost a lot. also when you select the grills go with a lower nc rating . that is noise criteria

Is your thermostat programmable ?
About 3 hours before you go to bed, lower the temperature set point a couple of degrees. Then, at bed-time, the set point goes back up to your usual temperature. Depending on outside temperature and how well you are insulated, you should get somewhere between a couple of hours and all night without the AC comping back on. Should keep the AC off long enough for you to fall asleep, anyways.

Latest posts

Back