How To Tell if board on side of wall is load bearing or just part of exterior wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Banner

Reaction score
I have a water leak from a roof gutter that has leaked over the years and degraded an exterior board to house which happens to be directly above the back porch area. I can't tell if this is a load bearing piece or just a board used to finish off the bottom area of exterior wall. I'd like to remove it and replace myself, but not sure if bringing in very tall jack stands to hold structure up while working on it is needed due to it being load bearing? I have included a link to my google drive video showing the exact home and issue...

see degraded board and leak here...

That is a lot of weight to be carried by the one 4x4 in any case IMO. Looks like there is a room above the porch roof and not just roof.

With water damage the problem often goes deeper than what you see and I would want to know what is going on behind the ceiling on that end and also that end walls T1-11 siding.

I would pull down the ceiling first and that will give you a look at how the framing was done along with the damage behind it. Based on what I saw there I would dig into the walls to get a look.

Once you know more we can help you fix it.

Welcome to the forum.

It appears to me that the damaged piece is a 1x trim and the cause may well be a leak in the gutter end cap.

The reason for the 1x is that it is a architectural element, acting as trim/stop for the the T-111 siding, and there is likely a flashing at the top, between it and the base of the siding.

You really need to see what's going on above the porch ceiling. If this is just a trim board, I'd replace it with Azek cellular PVC. But you need to make sure the structure behind it isn't rotted as well.

I had a hard time telling from the photo the thickness of the rotted piece as it has additional trim top and bottom of some sort. I can see where it is nailed/screwed it looks like every 16” like it is some kind of rim joist. Ripping the trim off the bottom would explain some of it as to thickness. Looking at it from the outside corner if it wasn’t mitered may also give a clue. If it is nailed all along its length as shown and is a 2x it will be a job pulling it off. If there is a rim joist behind it with hangers and this is a doubled up cover board nailed off as it looks like it is it will be adding additional strength. I have seen decks built that way. I wouldn’t then just want to trim a couple feet off the end and replace it.

Looks like the OP is in Santa Rosa and I know they do things different out there with mild climate and all.

I guess if the second floor wall was framed right off and flush to the porch framing and the siding was say half-inch then that would suggest the board was .75” thick and just trim. That should be easy to check by digging out some of the rotted end. I think I would still want to know how deep into framing the rot goes.

Judging from the siding it appears that the support post could be an 8x8 but phone cameras can be misleading.

It appears to me that the damaged piece is a 1x trim and the cause may well be a leak in the gutter end cap.

The reason for the 1x is that it is a architectural element, acting as trim/stop for the the T-111 siding, and there is likely a flashing at the top, between it and the base of the siding.

Yes the leak is coming from a bad end cap on gutter. It is spilling down the exterior wall and focused onto that corner piece of the board. And yes, there is flashing on top.

So it seems you have hit the same thoughts I had. It's just a choice of architectual element acting as a trim stop.

Once I take it off I can see if any water damage got behind it. But it seems to be surface only.

I'll know more in a few weeks. Thanks for the input.

That is a lot of weight to be carried by the one 4x4 in any case IMO. Looks like there is a room above the porch roof and not just roof.

With water damage the problem often goes deeper than what you see and I would want to know what is going on behind the ceiling on that end and also that end walls T1-11 siding.

I would pull down the ceiling first and that will give you a look at how the framing was done along with the damage behind it. Based on what I saw there I would dig into the walls to get a look.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm thinking perhaps the 4 x 4 vertical is to keep that edge of home from sagging over time. So it's not there to handle full weight of house, just to help out just a bit more than NOT having it there, and also act as a visual touch to outside porch at the same time. And yes, there is a room above. This is a 2 story home. The 4x4 is right under the bathroom tub which fits in that corner of home.

when you mention "ceiling" are you referring to the outside porch ceiling next to this water damaged board?

You really need to see what's going on above the porch ceiling. If this is just a trim board, I'd replace it with Azek cellular PVC. But you need to make sure the structure behind it isn't rotted as well.

yes, I will be pulling off front board first and see how far the water leak got. But at this time I suspect it's just a surface leak that only now has rotted out front surface board so far. I will be inspecting this closer next few weeks. But it sounds like I can take this off and the ceiling board without issues. But I think I'll keep the 4x4 in place for now to be safe. Although it needs replaced in near future. You can see all the cracks in it from it twisting as it dried up over time. Bad visual to look also.

Yes the leak is coming from a bad end cap on gutter. It is spilling down the exterior wall and focused onto that corner piece of the board. And yes, there is flashing on top.

So it seems you have hit the same thoughts I had. It's just a choice of architectual element acting as a trim stop.

Once I take it off I can see if any water damage got behind it. But it seems to be surface only.

08-21-21: I finally got around to taking a closer look. I posted yet another video to show the inside of exterior wall. any new thoughts on what to replace in part or as a whole piece? Any ideas on cost if I had someone else do the work?

Here is video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nwZdMcU2f7F0yeU1o5e_B8g9jmtUO0Yx/view?usp=sharing

I have a water leak from a roof gutter that has leaked over the years and degraded an exterior board to house which happens to be directly above the back porch area. I can't tell if this is a load bearing piece or just a board used to finish off the bottom area of exterior wall. I'd like to remove it and replace myself, but not sure if bringing in very tall jack stands to hold structure up while working on it is needed due to it being load bearing? I have included a link to my google drive video showing the exact home and issue...

08-21-21: I finally got around to taking a closer look. I posted yet another video to show the inside of exterior wall. any new thoughts on what to replace in part or as a whole piece? Any ideas on cost if I had someone else do the work?

Here is video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nwZdMcU2f7F0yeU1o5e_B8g9jmtUO0Yx/view?usp=sharing

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

I got the leak fixed and replaced all the rotted boards on outside frame of home. Not really too much damage. It was surface rot on the trim board mostly. However while workers were doing job, they noticed dry rot taking place on bottom portion of the 4x4 vertical corner post (circled in the attached photo). This post rests on the corner of the cement porch.

That led to a question as to what this 4x4 post really does at all. The thought is that the horizontal boards that run along the outer frame of home and meet at the corner where this post is located may be set up in a cantilever style to distribute the weight of home. The post may just be for visual only or helping out to a degree but not the main support of framing.

In other words, if this post went away for good, did it ever really play a role in keeping up the home? I am looking for someone who has real construction knowledge about this. If you reply with thoughts like "it's best to keep post, just in case" that really won't answer the question. Need to know how such a home is built to allow an open porch on corner where walls meet. What is holding up this home, especially since it's a 2 story house.

Attachments

• porch-4x4-post.jpg
    porch-4x4-post.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
The basic rules of cantilever are, for every 1' of cantilever, there is 3' of reverse load.

So, if you have, or can obtain, the original plans for the dwelling, you can determine that.

Short of that, you could retain the services of an engineer.

Were I you, I would assume that it is load bering.

Back