How to test submersible Sump Pump

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingo

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to test my sump pump. (Stevens Pump Co Model S5710.) Unfortunately, every time I load the pit (crock/well/etc.) with water, the level drops right back to where it started from. (I guess the soil beneath is absorbing it.) I've loaded about 6-7 gallons. There isn't a float.

The product description states that the water level control is isolated. I read this to mean there is an interior "float" mechanic which I cannot reach to test.

Any advice would be great, and pronto, as we have Frankenstorm coming.

Kind Regards

In the past, I've pulled the pump and tested it in 5 gal. bucket.

A 1' deep bucket will also do it.

Warranty 7 years
Motor HP .6
Discharge 1½"
Water Start 12"
Water Stop 3½"
Current Start 25 amps
Current Running 8.6 amps
Max Head 21½ '
Capacity 60 GPM @ 10'
Weight 19 lbs
Height 11"

You could use the 5 gal. bucket and a 10' vertical hose to check the capacity. It should fill or empty the bucket in 5 seconds.

"the level drops right back to where it started from." I guess you've already tested the capacity. . .:D

While the thing still works measure the voltage and current into the running motor, at whatever head you will be using this pump, so you have info for troubleshooting after your 7 years are up.

BTW, this pump/motor combo is 40% efficient at converting elec. power into water lifting power.

Last edited:
It's probably too late now, Frankenstorm is way past NJ.

Are you trying to test the float or diaphragm to see if it will autostart? If I'm not mistaken, Stevens pumps have a diaphragm not a float. They start and stop on water pressure.

Back