How to troubleshoot GE icemaker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
A tree took down our power line a couple weeks ago, and we got the power back in just over 24 hours so we thought we had dodged a bullet. But now I noticed that the icemaker isn't creating anymore ice. I can't blame it 100% on the power hit, because I didn't notice the problem right away, but it is the most obvious possible cause.
Anyway, where do I start to troubleshoot this thing? I would love to believe there is a fuse somewhere in the line that would be simple to replace. It's a GE fridge and the label is pictured here.GE fridge label.jpg

Try unplugging it for an hour, then restarting. It's possible when the power came back on, it spiked your incoming power and hopefully you can find a fusible link somewhere in the ice maker wiring harness.

I had a similar problem, and I turned the switch on the ice maker off for a couple of days. After turning it back on it worked, and is still working fine.

If that doesn't solve it, you can try going to repairclinic.com. Enter the model number of the refrigerator, and look through their directions to diagnose the problem. Many times the have videos on the steps to take.

I would start by defrosting the ice maker. Use a hairdryer to melt all the ice around it. Check the filler tube to make sure it isn't frosted over. I've "repaired" our previous Amana and our current Whirlpool with a hairdryer. An odd bit of ice in the wrong place can cause the motor to jam. In the Amama shutting off the water while away on vacation would cause the filler tube to freeze up.

Sparky posted a good start. After that, you may want to try check if your icemaker is actually working. Not sure the proper way to check, but when mine stopped making ice, I put a small piece of paper on the "ice crushing forks" (not sure exactly what they are, to tell you the truth). Next morning, when I checked, the paper had fallen to the ice bin. Try it again, same result. Concluded the ice maker was going through the motions, but it was not getting water. Replaced the water solenoid (a very common problem) and it was good to go.

Back