How to troubleshoot this water heater?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I can't get enough hot water for a bath with this gas water heater.

It takes a long time to heat up as well.

Gas is flowing. I can hear it ignite. All I can do right now is turn the temperature up way too high.

Apparently I had to turn the thermostat up. From now on, I'll give myself an hour to think about things before I make a post.

Most water heaters have an indicator showing the normal suggested normal setting.
If you have to go way above that there's an issue.
I'd start by using a thermometer to check the temp of the water at another faucet.
There is no reason it should be above 120 deg.
If all the faucets are getting low temp. that's one issue, if it just the shower that's an issue with the anti scald valve.

Most water heaters have an indicator showing the normal suggested normal setting.
If you have to go way above that there's an issue.
I'd start by using a thermometer to check the temp of the water at another faucet.
There is no reason it should be above 120 deg.
If all the faucets are getting low temp. that's one issue, if it just the shower that's an issue with the anti scald valve.

This thermostat doesn't say numbers. It just says Low --> High.

I don't think it has a recommended setting. All I know is I hadn't touched it since I got the place in 2016 until yesterday.

Okay now I don't know what to do.

I have it set all the way up, and I barely get hot water.

If this was electric, I would change the element. But it's gas so I have no clue.

Attachments

• 0319182122.jpg
    0319182122.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 6
Probably needs a new gas valve, or has lots of sediment buildup. Or both.

Check your drop tube , you should have one only on the cold water inlet. if someone overheat the fitting then the cold water will by-pass the drop to the bottom and mix hot and cold .

Unless I missed it, you still have not replyed to my question about if it's only the tub faucet giving you trouble.
If it's only the tub then it's not the heater.
Single handle or double handle on the valve?

What type of water do you have in your area? I ask because, back before the city put in a water treatment plant here, we would go through water heaters like candy. When we first moved here back in the late 80's they would never get past the warranty before they were shot. So, our SOP was to buy every other water heater, as they would only warranty them once.

Unless I missed it, you still have not replyed to my question about if it's only the tub faucet giving you trouble.
If it's only the tub then it's not the heater.
Single handle or double handle on the valve?

I solved it by letting gas out then putting the parts back.

A bath tub will pretty much take the whole 40 gallons of hot water. How big is the water heater? Turning the temp up won’t give you more hot water, just hotter water. Letting gas ‘out’ is not going to solve the problem. How old is the water heater? Like stated above, you may have a bunch of sediment inside, displacing the water.

Latest posts

Back