How to Vent and Insulate Enclosed Porch Converted to Entry Room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psubaron

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an enclosed porch that was previously converted to a living space of the house with heat etc. In the winter it was very drafty so I ripped down the ceiling and walls so I can properly insulate them. I have attached pics of the opened ceiling.
I plan to insulate all the walls with closed cell spray foam to stop air infiltration into the room. I have been considering using baffles up the underside plywood and spraying foam (maybe open cell) on the around the baffles but have seen that some don't think this is a good idea. So now I am not sure what to do.

The soffits of the former porch/entry room are vented, but it doesn't have a ridge vent, side vents, or anywhere for the air coming in to excape.

My goal is to turn this room into a finished entry room.

I need help with two things:

1) What do I do to properly ventilate the roof? What is the best way to do this?

2) How should I insulate between the roof and drywall? There is several feet of space between most of the roof and where the drywall will go. The rafters are 24" apart.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

ForumRunner_20120910_232929.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_233036.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_233104.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_233148.jpg

I would put a box vent on each side of the chimney. Air shuts over the outside walls, 24inch wide batts and vapour bearier. It is big enough you should have an attic access.
22"x 28". You could put a layer of batts across the rafters and then fit another layer between the rafters.

If you spray foam you will not ventilate. Using baffles will collapse them when the foam expands. They will spray the foam on the underside of the roof deck and you will not need or should insulate and further.

I was doing some research today and saw that radiant barriers installed onto the rafters significantly reduces the temperature in the attic space.

At this point I am considering installing a radiant barrier onto the rafters, rigid foam board over that onto the rafters and spray foaming the seams. *Then I will have to add a louver vent near the chimney so the hot air can rise and escape. Then i would install roxul wool batts in the 2 x 6 ceiling beams, add a vapor barrier and drywall. *I NEED SOME OPINIONS HERE FROM EXPERTS...thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back