How would you do this roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdNerd

Reaction score
I am replacing the roof on my side patio. Right now I'm putting up new wood. I've got an odd bit where the house roof intersects the patio roof, and I'm wondering how y'all would do this? As always, I have no idea what the right questions to ask are, or what options sound good but lead to trouble. So I'll post some photos and see if that helps explain things.

Roof1.jpg
As you can see, the patio rafters are nearly flat, while the house roof intersects at a steeper angle. This leaves some of the patio roof sticking out beyond the house roof.

Roof2.jpg
There's a gap behind the end board of the house roof, and another patio rafter behind that. The previous construction had a piece of wood that followed the patio rafters, all the way to the wall, and was notched for the house roof end board.

Roof3.jpg

It would be easier - but would it be wise? - to run the new wood outside the house roof end board, and not go underneath all the way to the wall. At some point the patio roof has to do this anyways - the rafter next to the wall stops short of the rest of the patio rafters. But should the wood - and therefore the roofing (felt and rolled roof shingling) go underneath the house roof??

Ed

Were it me, I'd just tear the crap off and do it right.

That looks rough! I do not believe that it can be fixed to a weather tight condition. I would normally suggest that you put a new roof structure on the patio and match it to the house. But in this case, what you have there does not appear to be strong enough to properly support a new roof structure. Your fascia board is rotten on the house. Your partition wall also looks like it might have potential structural issues as well. None of this appears to meet any sort of building code. It looks like someone just started nailing boards onto the house.

I agree with Snoonyb, you should tear this off and put it back properly.

Also with the 2 X 4's laying flat like that, that has to be one wavy roof.
Using that huge galv. drip edging also makes no since to me and just looks ugly.

A couple of clarifications:
(1) This is a covering over an outdoor patio. Weather-tight is a matter of degrees, not an absolute. This is SW Arizona - a bit of rain from time to time, never snow. More protection from sun and pigeon fall-out than rain. Still, the more water-tight, the better.
(2) This was an add-on that was on the house when I bought it over 20 years ago. This is the first major repair this patio roof has ever seen. And circumstances are such that this patio either gets just a new roof, or it gets completely torn down. To enhance resale appearance value, we've opted for the new roof.
(3) The horizontal boards nailed to the house roof fascia boards were to support the plywood for the old roof. And the way everything was situated, I'm sure that area of the roof didn't get properly repainted as it should.
(4) The house is over 65 years old, and is being sold as-is to a buyer who is well acquainted with it and knows what he's getting. And knows that I am doing this work as a homeowner, definitely not a professional. At this point, nothing is getting totally torn out and redone -- that may come later from the new owners, but not before the sale.

Bottom line: I just want to do the best I can for what it is. I'm actually more concerned with keeping nesting pigeons (flying rats!!) out of that cubby hole than preventing any trickle of water.

If the house is already committed to be sold to a knowledgeable buyer who is well acquainted with it, then don't do anything else and sell it as is.

There is no need to do anything else unless some code or mortgage company requires it. If that is the case then it needs to be torn off. It does not have to be rebuilt

Back