How would you install a handrail on these stone steps?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphymusic

Reaction score
I need to install a handrail on our back porch steps. They are constructed with paver bricks and, I believe, sandstone. The sandstone slabs on the steps, as well as the brick on the steps, are cemented together. I'm afraid of drilling and using expandable fasteners, will the stone fracture?? The pavers on the top and on the patio are simply set in paver base. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help offered!!!Back Porch.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I have a few questions:
-most mounting brackets have 4 holes, will the stone crack?
-I've read that a hammer drill would probably crack the stone...your thoughts?
-What type of bit would you use?
-What type of epoxy would you use?
Sorry, I just don't want to ruin anything.

AHA, clarification needed.

I seldom use the pre-manufactured product, but have, yet to crack any masonry product I'm attaching too, so you'll need to be careful until you have developed the patience of drill pressure and speed.

I order from a fabricator, or fabricate my own with an extra 12" post length. Dowel in with an 1-1/2" spline drive, at least 3", fit, cut to length, fill the hole with epoxy, set, plumb and hold for 10-15min. Clean any epoxy purge, prime with rust inhibitor and paint.

Welcome to the forum.

I would likely mount them just off the end of the steps. Dig a couple holes and set pipes in concrete.

You can see what you can buy pre-made but I would also likely make a sketch of what I wanted and the pipe lengths and have a local weld shop make them or make them myself.

Your design with stone and pavers looks great!

Back