Hvac filters

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I change my heatpumps air filter every 4 to 6 weeks because of pet fur and dander. I know that you shouldn't use too high of a mere rating because it can strain the system, however.... how high is too high since I change so frequently?

My heat pump is 14 years old but wasn't used at all for 5 of those years. I believe it is only a 10 SEER. Also.... I keep it 70ish year round and live in the KY/Ohio/WV area just to show weather patterns and usage.

I've been told 10 is the max on most units. I change mine out every 3 months, and use a 9 MERV.. I also get the Home Depot special buys of the day, and they offer free shipping at half the price as what is in the store.

If you're getting a lot of pet dander on them you can vacuum them off to extend their life. If it is all fine particulate I'm not sure vacuuming would work, but for big stuff it wouldn't hurt.

I might try that next time @Sparky617 . It usually the bottom 5 inches are covered in fur. But the entire filter is dirty also. However, I could purchase a little more expensive/better quality filer if I could vacuum some of it off (maybe)

Sounds like a situation where pre-filter wouldn't hurt.
You can try different MERV ratings while keeping an eye on your blower's amp drawn and determine which filter is best for your system.

I went to Walmart to get a waterproof extra thick mattress pad, but they were out of full and queen sizes. Looked online and they didn't seem to want to deliver to my local store but another store said they would have one after 11:AM next day... then got an email it won't be until Thursday... will call and make sure before making the trek over there...
Also went to Save-a-Lot and Family Dollar... door of Family Dollar was locked, clerk came to door and said they had just been robbed...

Back