HVAC handler drain pipe question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricket12

Reaction score
HVAC handler drain pipe sweats. The pipe has been cleaned and 1 cup of bleach is put in the pump monthly. There is a small amount of water that drips on to the floor. Is this normal or what could be the problem

Can you post a picture? I have a small drip out of my upstairs unit. The solution was to put a plastic tub under the connection to catch the occasional drip. I've never had to empty the tub as it evaporates out. My HVAC guy suggested this to keep the water out of the pan and causing it to rust. A cup of bleach is a lot to put into your pump. It shouldn't take nearly that much, that strong of a solution could cause the rubber bits in your pump to break down.

I have a pot and a tray under the pipe. There isn't that much that leaks. A friend says it might be condensation on the pipe. How much bleach do you think I should put in the pump and how often. I have a Goodman unit

I've never had a problem with condensation on my drain line. Mine is PVC pipe, is yours metal? You could try putting pipe insulation on it to keep the warm humid air away from the drain line.

As to the bleach, I wouldn't put more than a tablespoon in a nearly full pump reservoir. I just installed a new toilet the other day and the specifically warn against products like 2000 flushes saying it will void the warranty on the rubber parts. In the pipe itself, you could put more to kill off any algae growth.

My handler is in the garage. The temps in the garage reach 95 degrees and higher. IDK if that could cause a problem.

Last year quiet a bit of water came in to the hallway inside the house ( at the location of the handler). The drain pipe did need cleaning. When the outdoor temp go to 80's and 90's the unit can run as long as 4 or 5 hours without shutting off. I've mentioned that to my HVAC guy and he simply dismissed it. He said that was normal during hot weather and I asked again - not shut off at all those 4 or 5 hours. IDK seems a bit hard on the system in my opinion

Hi, dilute the bleach at least 50/50, and use it less often, post a pic of where the water is dripping from.
Geo

Thanks for all the answers. After i posted my original question I had a big problem occur. Last week I had to have the drain pipe replaced apparently it has a crack that was the problem and the pipe finally broke and flooded in to a hallway. (Going to have to replace flooring now). I will be getting an estimate to replace the handler. It is a 2004 installation with the original pump that was in the house (new construction purchased 1997). The drain had been cleaned 2 months ago yet there was a considerable amount of rust from the pan that had also lodged. Decided it was best to replace at this time rather than another situation occurring and causing more indoor damage(s). My house is on a slab and the handler is next to the interior wall. Do new systems come with a switch to cut off the system if something like this starts to occur. Obviously mine current unit doesn't have.

They should install a float switch in the pan that will shut the unit down if pan gets to full.
Geo

Two guesses .

1 - The HVAC equipment is designed to run 24/7 .

2 - The equipment would last , more hours of run time , it it never shut off .

God bless
Wyr

Back