I Didn't Even Know They Made Oil Furnaces!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armywife

Reaction score
Hey all, so my husband and I just bought our first house up here in Tacoma, WA and the house is from 1906. It has an oil furnace, much to my surprise. Anywho, my hubs is deploying next month and my dad directed me to this site for any sort of home repair questions I may have...

So anywho, I was wondering what the low down was on oil furnaces, as I didn't even know they existed. So what are the need-to-knows (ie, filling? lighting? things to look out for? etc.)?

Thanks so much everyone!

Welcome ArmyWife:
The benefit of being an Arny Wife is to find things totally new and different where ever you are stationed.
Fuel oil produces more BTUs than any other home heating fuel. The first cautions I would name are; make sure the fuel filter is new (in the fuel line), try to make sure there is no water in the fuel tank (water won't burn and can keep the fuel from burning, especially when it freezes in your fuel line). If your fuel tank is outside, a heat tape on the fuel line and the exit from the tank will keep the fuel from congealing and keep it burning well.
Maybe your husband (my hero) can check these things before he is deployed. We will be here for your support while he is gone and we will be praying for him.
Glenn

Congrates on your home. I just want to add, with a furnace, buy a good carbon monoxide detector to keep your family safe. Furnaces have a heat exchanger which at some point will crack and leak, an old one will probably last longer due to material.
Have someone check it once a year is also beneficial. My oil company does this for free, if I buy my oil from them with a contract. Works for me.:)

Back