I have to make the basement water proof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamadori

Reaction score
I have bought some Kilz paint. But I am non-profit animal rescue and don't want to waste any effort or money.

what do to:
this is the first wall I will be dealing with. Well, I will have to post it somewhere else if it didn't upload. I power hosed it and some rock and concrete popped off. No more is coming off with the hose. But should I get that thin layer of patch off, becuase I think it is loose.

And how shouold I prepare the area before painting? Do I need to patch it? I don't think the rock underneath will hurt my inspections.

Kami
Mama Dori's rescue and rehab Inc.

Make it waterproof from what? My first thought was you are trying to prevent water from coming in but I'm not so sure. Do you want to make it waterproof for easy cleaning? If the latter, thats a very different answer than the former.

Which is it?
If you want to keep water out - This is first best addressed from the outside.
If you want a waterproof surface for easy cleaning - It depends on your requirements. A stainless steel wall covering would be best. There are also plastic wall panels, tile, etc. Some paints or masonry products may meet your inspections requirement as well.

Clarify your intent and we can provide more suggestions and detail.

Keeping water out might be an easy fix or could be very involved. It depends on the situation. Many basement water issues could be solved by just extending downspouts, unclogging gutters and making sure the grade outside slopes away not towards the basement.

If finishing a space for super easy cleaning thats different. Paint wont do it. I have done some work on commercial kitchens which required stainless steel in some areas. Other areas we were allowed to put up plastic 'paneling'. If you wanted to build an area that could be hosed out then there would be even more considerations.

so, Rachael - To answer your question - It depends.

THere are parts down there that have trickles come down when it rains, but not everywhere. ANd actually I DO neede an easy to clean surface. Sanitation, sanitation.... BUt I cannot get dogs in for rehaqbilitation until I get the area done. ANd I do this on my social security check. How much would a stainless steel covering cost. I'm just afraid any patch is going to be a lkot of work and still come off later. I can't have dogs around crumbling cement. I will post pix of the other walls if you like. But they are block concrete and different. So I thought this wall would be a separare thread.

Mamodori - Thanks for coming back to get involved in the discussion you started and thanks for clarifying.

Read my second response - First things first - Keep water from getting in.

Do this outside.
1 - Extend any downspouts four to six feet away from the building. cost - about $5 per downspout more or less.
2 - make sure the gutters are not clogged and do not overflow - cost $0
3 - make sure the ground slopes away from the building and not toward the building - cost $0 if you have a shovel and a rake

Do those things and check for trickles during the next rain.

Also - Return the Kilz - It wont be needed for this project as far as I can tell.

Stainless steel is expensive and not really a DIY job.

Lets get the trickles fixed first. The 3 things above may solve the water issue or we may need to incur more expense. One step at a time.

OH thank God I can return it! I am totally out of dog food. lol

...that my house is not commercially zoned. I will have to fulfill the lease until next Feb and move the entire rescue! Good thing I help the city. I guess I won't be improving THIS property. I will still do the things that don't cost. Sigh..... and try to keep sanitary as possible. It will juswt be inbcredibly exhausting and I won't be able to use some areas. bigger sigh....

Kami
Mama Dori's Jungle's rescue and rehab
www.mamadori.tripod.com

Just a thought... I know it is a bit off topic but, since you are a non profit animal rescuer, help the city, etc... why not get the community involved in the effort? Or at least more people than those already involved?
Donations that will help you move the rescue, volunteer labor that will help you with the repairs of the old place and the adjustments in new place.
Go to churches, community associations, put up some posters in local community gathering places, lnternet etc...
Kids for example are off school for summer and many will like an opportunity to have something to do and make a difference.

Latest posts

Back