I need a quick tip

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm trying to screw a piece of aluminum to a section of plywood, and I want to make it perfectly flat against the plywood. However, no matter how careful I am to smooth the aluminum, by the time I get to the final screws there are several portions of the aluminum that are annoyingly separated from the wood. When I did this on the second piece of plywood, I was even more meticulous in affixing the aluminum but I got the same result. Tomorrow I have to do three more pieces. Any tips on how I can do it so that the aluminum is perfectly flat against the plywood in all places?

What size screws are you using and how thick is the aluminum? Have you considered glueing it to the ply with construction adhesives or contact cement?

Thank you for replying, olddognewtrick! I don't know the size of the screws but I drilled holes in the aluminum that were just large enough to accommodate the screws. The aluminum is of the thickness that is normally used for flashing. I checked the flashing package and it only has the length and width, not the thickness. I haven't considered using glue or construction adhesives for this project because a) I don't really have anything but Crazy Glue and Gorilla Glue b) I've had very disappointing experiences using both of them, as well as things like epoxy, and c) I want to be absolutely sure that this will hold up when stressed, and I can only be sure of that using screws.

When you use a screw in thin material when you tighten it down it indents into the material ever so slightly and that dimple will cause the material to pucker. You need a screw with a flat head and then a washer to spread out the surface area.

Even then it may not remain flat as with temp the wood and alum. will expand at different rates and can ripple.

The hole in the metal should have been slightly bigger then the screw, and the wood would needed a pilot hole the root size of the screw.
If you used a flat head screw, you would need to use what's called a finish washer under it.
I'd use a Pan head screw and flat washer.

I would suggest contact glue. Just cover both sides with glue wait 10-20 minutes until both sides are dry then bring together. A word to the wise make sure that the come together as you want them , because once they touch nothing can take them apart. if fact i doubt you will need screws .

Perhaps you could use a somewhat large metal washer against the aluminum and a rubber washer on top of the metal one to disperse the pressure a bit.

Liquid Nails has a new product called Fuze*It. It goes well beyond normal construction adhesive. I used it for something, (don't remember exactly what it was), and tossed the partially used tube back in the truck. I small glob leaked out. A few days later I noticed it and could not believe the bond strength between the tube and cabinet that it was stuck to. It's interior/external rated and may be a great choice for your project. Gorilla Glue has it's place, but can be messy and hard to work with. I think I have found a new "Super Adhesive" for my "arsenal of "good stuff to know!"

Liquid Nails has a new product called Fuze*It. It goes well beyond normal construction adhesive. I used it for something, (don't remember exactly what it was), and tossed the partially used tube back in the truck. I small glob leaked out. A few days later I noticed it and could not believe the bond strength between the tube and cabinet that it was stuck to. It's interior/external rated and may be a great choice for your project. Gorilla Glue has it's place, but can be messy and hard to work with. I think I have found a new "Super Adhesive" for my "arsenal of "good stuff to know!"
Sounds interesting, I will check that stuff out!

Back