I need a router...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
I'll be flush-cutting 1/2 MDF on a mantel as well as 10 mil maple veneer at a later stage on the same project. I'm sure I'll find other uses for it down the road, too. What brands/models do you folks like? Thanks.

I really like my Milwaukee fixed base. Forgot the model number. It's heavy duty, easy to adjust, and has a nice feel to it (has a hand strap).

Good luck!

Bosch 1617EVS kit is your best bet for both quality and value. The kit comes with both a fixed base and a plunge base, 1/4" and 1/2" collets, and a really nice case. See this month's Wood magazine for reviews of this and several other kits. The Bosch won their head to head test hands down. You should be able to pick one up for around $200 or so. Highly recommended.

I like my Porter Cable D- handled router. It has a trigger which is easier than most.;)

I have been using a Porter Cable router for years and I have never had a problem with it. It is fairly light weight and I have found that changing bits is easy.

I've got the Bosch. Love it, has variable speed (good for big bits, or if doing plastic work so you don't melt your work), soft start (doesn't torque in your hand so badly on startup), quiet (this is a relative term, after all it is a router).

I've only got the fixed base, wish I had the plunge base as well, but have lived without it so far.

Back