I want to be a House Flipper.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took Bud alot of reality to get that way.;) But speaking from experience is what you want. Some dreams are sugar coated, like the one where this donut goes...never mind.:D
Edumacate yursef any way you can, and when you feel confident enough to fly, jump out of the nest. You'll do fine, as long as you continue to educate yourself while your at it.

Life is what it is...enjoy it and follow your passions, no matter what anyone tells you...it's up to you, guts and luck to make it.:trophy:

Hang around here alot...you'll learn plenty.:hide:

I think all the comments expressed are meant in the spirit that we'd love to see you succeed, but want you to get into this with your eyes wide open. We've all seen people get into remolding way over their heads and either can't finish a project or turn out a product of questionable quality. You have a dream? Go for it. We'll help where we can.

Remember the words of Graham "My very best is the least I can do"

Thanks everyone for the comments!

My parents actually started a business about 10 years ago. They wanted to be the first in that line of work to run a clean, honest business. It didn't work out, partly because they were very honest and hardworking, and secondly because the business they were in plummeted shortly after they started. After that, we had to move to a terrible city in my grandparents house. Even though we were able to return home to middle TN in a few years and get a nice house, we never fully recovered. Oldog/Newtrick... You are from Nashville... So I am sure you know what this 'failing industry' is I am talking about! ;)

Even though I was young then, it still hit hard for the whole family. I look back now and wondered if anything could have been done. Sometimes my parents wish they could go back with the knowledge they have now... But my dad still wants to start a business. He has always loved the thought of doing it, and I think if the conditions were right, he'd do it again in a heartbeat. I also know that I have my parents to give me advice and help me make better decisions as I go into this career.

I really appreciate everyone's help and comments on here. I am not going to let one person get me down... I would love to hang around here more... Unfortunately, I think I'll mostly be a 'lurker' as I don't have much to contribute, except maybe a bit in the 'cleaning' and 'off topic' sections! Hopefully I'll be able to join in more WHEN I start my volunteer work. After all, the reason I joined this forum was to get advice from the masters! :)

-R

PS: Also... I would love it if you all could share your stories on how you got into your career. How old were you when you started? Was it a family thing? Do you love what you do?

I also just read the entire thread that Phatboy posted about the total remodel of his Louisiana home... WOW! How inspiring. That is exactly what I would like to do with my fiance someday... He is more of a computer guy... But I think I could get him to buckle down and work with me on a project! :D

I also just read the entire thread that Phatboy posted about the total remodel of his Louisiana home... WOW! How inspiring. That is exactly what I would like to do with my fiance someday... He is more of a computer guy... But I think I could get him to buckle down and work with me on a project! :D

Computer guys are good at procedural things typically. It might work out well.

I'm sure it will ;) I have mentioned having our first home be a fixer upper and he seemed pretty interested. Since I'm not so good with math (and he's a math genius) that will help!

One suggestion I would make is to not call yourself a "flipper" that smacks of someone out to make a quick buck with the minimal investment of time, effort and materials. Not someone I would buy a house from. It is the "flipper" mentality (The derivatives market is based on "flipping" financial instruments) that has dragged the world economy to the brink of ruin.

It sounds like you have a genuine interest in doing justice to the craftsmanship required to build those old houses. Perhaps call yourself a "restorer". Obviously to make a living at this, you have to be concious of bussiness principles, but I hope you approach this as a passion first and bussiness second rather than the reverse. In short, I would leave the real estate licence till last.

I think the best way to start this is by buying your own "fixer Upper" and live it for 2 years while you make the improvements. This will give you the experience you need while keeping your expenses down. You also get the benefit of no capital gains. (As long as you live in the house for 2 years)
I know many people that have done this over and over again. If you start when you are young, you can have your dream house completely paid for in about 4 or 5 turns.

Good Luck!

William Nickerson bought structurally sound houses that were cosmetically unappealing and rented them out while he fixed them up, then sold them.

I did that just once, with a house on the next block, but a bunch of hippy tenants and a divorce intervened. Ah, those were the days! :D

When you want to sell, use the Effros method.

Last edited:
psych1: One suggestion i would make is to not call yourself a "flipper" that smacks of someone out to make a quick buck with the minimal investment of time, effort and materials. Not someone i would buy a house from. It is the "flipper" mentality (the derivatives market is based on "flipping" financial instruments) that has dragged the world economy to the brink of ruin.

there ya go!:)

Psych1 - Yes, I agree 'restorer' is definitely a better word! That is what my true interest would be is to restore a house back to it's natural beauty. To be honest, it was kind of in the back of my mind that the business aspect of it is very real, and something I will need to study up on! ;) But I really want what I do to be something I can take a lot of pride in. From my cashiering job to portraits (which I have always done for free), I do the best I can do because I take pride in my work. :)

Pritchb- This has been on my mind for a little while now! It has always been in my head that you always have to get an apartment when you first move out with your significant other, however, we discussed it and we have both saved up enough money that we could probably afford a house! Of course we are going to meet with my family's long time friend and real estate agent to discuss this with her. We also were talking and think that getting a fixer upper (not anything that will need as much work as Phatboy's NOLA home, of course!) is a great idea. Of course we're going to do as much research as humanly possible before taking such a huge step.

Wuzzat- That sounds like a crazy story! Hope things turned all right for you in the end with that one! ;) Thank you also for your links!

Also... Tonight at work, I noticed a customer wearing a Habitat for Humanity jacket so I asked him about it... I guess his wife in the head honcho for our area, and he gave me a business card, and a number to call and told me to ask for her! I can't wait to make the call! :D

Thanks everyone for the support and advice,

-R

I think the best way to start this is by buying your own "fixer Upper" and live it for 2 years while you make the improvements. This will give you the experience you need while keeping your expenses down. You also get the benefit of no capital gains. (As long as you live in the house for 2 years)
I know many people that have done this over and over again. If you start when you are young, you can have your dream house completely paid for in about 4 or 5 turns.

Good Luck!

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is very good advice. Buy a beat up home, move in, fix it up at your own speed. This will give you time to buy the materials needed to do the fixin. Cause they are going to be very costly. While your living there, you are not having two house payments, two insurance payments etc. Once your happy with the results, put it on the market while looking for another one. This can (I didn't say will) get you started if your careful to bank a few bucks on the way.

I have bought many pieces of property from Duplexes to very nice homes. Usually rented them out and found out in short order, it's not a glamorous occupation. Then the economy does a major downturn and your stuck lowering rents to get them occupied while the banks drive you nuts with payment reminders.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Good luck and like was said earlier, don't let anyone talk you out of your dreams.

not call yourself a "flipper"
Yes, tell them you're doing God's work. :D
[ame=http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22god's+work%22+financial&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8]"god's work" financial - Google Search[/ame]

Some people fear home renovations. I love them. I walk around my house imagining the
possibilities and the wonders that a torn-down wall, a fresh paint job or a whole new
bathroom and kitchen can do.

I have no experience in home renovations but like so many other do-it-yourself, I turn to
the Internet for help in planning and executing my home-improvement projects.

Some people fear home renovations. I love them. I walk around my house imagining the
possibilities and the wonders that a torn-down wall, a fresh paint job or a whole new
bathroom and kitchen can do.

I have no experience in home renovations but like so many other do-it-yourself, I turn to
the Internet for help in planning and executing my home-improvement projects.

Well you didn't waste anytime getting your website link out there, either, didya?

I've always wanted to flip a house too. I think it'd be lots of fun, but mostly hard work & probably lots of stress. I think it's sad to see all of the old house being demolished.
I think starting out with some classes would be a good way to start. Business classes for sure, maybe some construction management, try to get a job with an historical restorer, even if it's just as a secretary for now. You need to learn & meet the right kind of people, because you won't be able to do it all yourself. You'll need liscesened plumbers, electricians,hvac people,....
You are young and have plenty of time to get the right experience & knowledge before plunging into an expensive project like this.
Check out Ivy Tech, or even on-line courses.

Good Luck

Thank you Granitegirl!

I actually am pretty happy because I have a job interview scheduled to work at The Hermitage! (Home of Pres. Andrew Jackson) I have been trying to get a job there since high school! It sounds like my job duties would be working in the ticket office and giving tours in the visitors center. It's definitely a great start! I know there are people there who work mainly (if not only) at the Hermitage as groundskeepers and craftsmen. Hopefully it works out! ( I have a good feeling about it! )

My fiance and I met with our Real Estate agent/Friend and she said the very first step I have to make is to establish credit which I am in the process of doing (right now I have none! I was always raised to avoid credit and now I have to hurry up and get the ball rolling! :D ). I am also continuing to save as much money as possible.

Thanks for the advice, right now I'm looking into as much as I can... I just have to get it all in order!

-R

I was at the Hermitage last fall ! Very cool. I think it's great that we still have places like that around. Just think how old that place is & it's still pretty much standing strong- bullet holes & cannon balls & all...:)
I think you're on the right track, you've got an idea & a "dream". Which is a heck of a lot more than a lot of 21 year old people I know.
Good Luck and keep at it ! Don't forget your education !

That's awesome that you were there! There used to be a lot more trees, but a tornado hit it in 1998 and destroyed most of them that were planted by Andrew himself. I also think the first Hermitage may have survived the New Madrid earthquake (Though I can't find ANY info on it) which is amazing! Speaking of the NM fault... Are there ways to make a house more earthquake-proof while restoring it? I hear brick houses are the worst during earthquakes. Most people around here don't even know about New Madrid but another 'big one' (8.0 or higher) is still very possible in our lifetimes. Better safe than sorry, I always say!

-R

Back