I was splitting a bunch of wood today and...

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by drewdin, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1

drewdin

drewdin

drewdin

There was a few ant farms exploded out of the wood when the wood split, I pulled out all the punky wood and ants but now I'm not sure if I should still use the wood.

I made sure that from what i could tell, the ants were gone. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Nov 11, 2013 #2

Blue Jay

Blue Jay

Blue Jay

I just leave them outside into the cold weather kills any that would be left.

3. Nov 12, 2013 #3

Shawner

Shawner

Shawner

Burning punky wood or ants won't hurt anything as long as the wood isn't wet (the punky wood will stay spongy way longer than regular wood will).

I'd just make sure to keep it all outside until ready to burn, they should stay inside til they're in the firebox (extra BTU's!)

4. Nov 12, 2013 #4

drewdin

drewdin

drewdin

how long before I'm going to burn them should i bring them in? I just planned on bringing them in when I planned on putting them in the fireplace. Thanks

Shawner likes this.
  5. Nov 12, 2013 #5

Drywallinfo

Drywallinfo

Drywallinfo

Punky wood will burn. Not all that well, but it will burn. One winter when were out of wood in the spring, I started bringing in standing dead (and punky) small trees, cut up. They burned OK, just not as long as good wood.