Identifying leak source

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecal

Reaction score
Hello. Recently, my wife moved a bed to clean under it and we discovered that the drywall by the floor trim is bulging out, the trim itself is warped and also bulging, and the adjacent wood flooring is also slightly warped. Also, about 3 feet directly above this damage, there's a line break in the wall drywall in two places. So I have water damage and I figured that due to the lining up of the damage that it must be due to water coming from the roof. On the other side of this bedroom wall is the outside south side of the house. Surprisingly, there are no water stains on the bedroom ceiling above this damage. So the water is only getting into the wall although i didn't visually see any water at that time on the bedroom floor. I checked the water meter outside at the curb and wrote down the reading and then we didn't use water for 3 hours and the reading didn't move so I figured if there's a pipe in that wall it's not leaking. I also took the hose to the outer wall just on the other side of the leak and hosed the ground for a while. I wanted to see if maybe I have a foundation leak. However, I checked several times afterwards and saw no sign of water by the inside damage. I'll mention that on the outside of he wall and above, I do have about a 2 foot hip roof extending from the roof valley. Now it rained yesterday but I checked but saw no water by the inside damaged area. So I'm mystified. Another thing is that where this small hip roof meets the wall there is a small horizontal opening in the stucco just under the shiplap. Is it possible that rain could be getting up under the protruding eave and getting into that opening? The rain would have to be going sideways. Also, and I don't think this is a coincidence, the paint on the bottom side of the hip roof shiplap has peeled away from the shiplap. So all of this damage lines up vertically. The damage to the bottom of the shiplap, the two breaks in the inside wall, and the damage down by the trim. I don't mind paying a roofer to reroof this section of the roof but I'd hate to spend money doing that only to find out that that's not the cause of the damage. There is no musty smell by the inside damage. Any opinions?

Post some pictures of the outside in that area, and it would be best to add up on the roof so we can see what your seeing.
It's also a good idea to add your location to your profile, just a state is fine.
Could be many things.
Not enough overhang on the shingles.
Plugged up gutters.
If there's a plumbing vent through the roof in that area the seal may have failed.
Old damage from ice dams.
Windows leaking.
Ect.

thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail

Top photo is the drywall about 3 feet directly above the damage on the bedroom floor. Bottom photo is the bedroom floor. Second photo from top is the shiplap which is under the hip roof. I did notice that one of the nails of the shingles on top of the hip roof is protruding a little but this is still below the opening in the stucco. Photos 3, 4. 5, & 6 show the area under the roof shiplap and above the hip roof shingles. There is no damage to the roof shiplap. I suspect that when I have a hard rain and a strong side ways wind, the water is entering the opening in the stucco from the valley created by the intersection of the two slopes--see photos 4 and 5. I tested by watering the top of the roof and the valley with a hose but I didn't see any dripping in the area of the stucco opening. And later found no water on the bedroom floor.

Toprain1.jpgrain9.jpgrain6.jpgrain7.jpgrain5.jpgrain3.jpgrain2.jpgphoto Top photo is the drywall about 3 feet directly above the damage on the bedroom floor. Bottom photo is the bedroom floor. Second photo from top is the shiplap which is under the hip roof. I did notice that one of the nails of the shingles on top of the hip roof is protruding a little but this is still below the opening in the stucco. Photos 3, 4. 5, & 6 show the area under the roof shiplap and above the hip roof shingles. There is no damage to the roof shiplap. I suspect that when I have a hard rain and a strong side ways wind, the water is entering the opening in the stucco from the valley created by the intersection of the two slopes--see photos 4 and 5. I tested by watering the top of the roof and the valley with a hose but I didn't see any dripping in the area of the stucco opening. And later found no water on the bedroom floor

If your not comfortable or able to make the necessary repair, I'd suggest calling a couple qualified roofing companies and get quotes to sort out the issues you're having.

If your not comfortable or able to make the necessary repair, I'd suggest calling a couple qualified roofing companies and get quotes to sort out the issues you're having.
I can't do any of that so I'll have to pay someone. I just wanted some input on the cause since I couldn't duplicate the trouble. Thanks

I can't do any of that so I'll have to pay someone. I just wanted some input on the cause since I couldn't duplicate the trouble. Thanks
There appears to be multiple flashing issues. The stucco needs to be repaired. And it's hard to visualize what's going on up on the roof in pic 2, 4 and 5. Get several quotes. Most roofers do not charge for estimates.

You might ask some neighbors to recommend a roofer. I have a guy. Jason is the best. Really good work and its cheap. Like half the price of the other estimates. Yeah, maybe he's screwing my wife... but the roof don't leak.
LOL, thanks

Latest posts

Back