Improper plumbing & trying to remodel bathroom/laundry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Ron!

I've since cleaned up the siding a little bit. I used a regular house broom to sweep off webs. I didn't get the part that juts out up higher as I didn't feel secure in my balance to reach that high while leaning back. I actually had a dream last night about finding out some tool I had was also a pressure sprayer. Alas, no such tool exists. I'm going to get a ladder and see if I can scrub the siding off better, and get the higher up spots, even though I don't want to upset the spiders that have been diligently catching the damn wasps.

I'm taking a break today, but tomorrow if my body is cooperating, I'll get up and do some touch-ups with putty. I'll make sure to have some water handy because that seems to help the putty spread better. Then I'll try to clean things up a little better and put tape on the door and trim so I can paint the jamb white. I also need to locate the handle thingy I got to put on the trim and anchor in to a stud so my mom has a handle to grab when going down or coming up the steps. I'll have to get her to help me decide what height to put it at.

The new robe hook. The "hook" part reminds me of a whale or dolphin tail.
1697430802411.png1697430831353.png1697430849361.png
I need to see if I can make the scrape on the wall a little less obvious. Maybe use some white caulk and smear it or use some white paint, although the white paint I have might be a little too obvious. Might have to try the primer and paint it on lightly. White won't be as obvious as the bare wood.

So, I've been thinking about it and I've decided that trying to run the drain pipe and vent all the way to the other wall would just be too much of a pain. It will interfere with the dryer vent if I do it that way. So the easiest way to do it, IMO, is to run it to the left of the window & slap an AAV on top. AAV will be above the shelf so it can be accessed more easily.
Instead of using wooden boards for the shelves, I can use PVC board. It is not as sturdy, but it is waterproof. They sell them thick enough that a single board cut to fit around the window should work. I will have a hole cut for the drain hose to come up and in to the box. I will also have desk grommets for the water supply lines to go from the shutoffs to the washing machine. Above the box up to the left will be a 20A GFCI outlet. A hole will be cut behind the left side of the washer box to run the cord for the washing machine up to the outlet.
This is the latest configuration idea:
1699687567404.png

The box washer box will likely be pushed up against the wall to the left if there is enough space. Will have to see how much room there is after the cutout for the cord.
This is the rough sketch of what would be behind the washer & dryer:
1699687697155.png
The drain for the washing machine may end up having to be in the middle of the box instead of off to the side but either way it will have at least 4" for the trap arm. If the drain does have to go in the middle, I can bend the cold water line a little to go around it.

For the exterior part of the dryer vent I want to get this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CCF7DGDS/
1699687959251.png
It stays closed with a magnet when there is no air blowing, but when air blows it opens up. I'm debating whether or not to get the in-wall duct piece for the extra $, but I'm pretty sure I have something somewhere that has a duct on it that I can re-use. I plan to fill in the hole for the old dryer duct with the cutout for the new one and replace the 2 vinyl siding pieces that were cut for that duct.

So, I've been thinking about it and I've decided that trying to run the drain pipe and vent all the way to the other wall would just be too much of a pain. It will interfere with the dryer vent if I do it that way. So the easiest way to do it, IMO, is to run it to the left of the window & slap an AAV on top. AAV will be above the shelf so it can be accessed more easily.
Instead of using wooden boards for the shelves, I can use PVC board. It is not as sturdy, but it is waterproof. They sell them thick enough that a single board cut to fit around the window should work. I will have a hole cut for the drain hose to come up and in to the box. I will also have desk grommets for the water supply lines to go from the shutoffs to the washing machine. Above the box up to the left will be a 20A GFCI outlet. A hole will be cut behind the left side of the washer box to run the cord for the washing machine up to the outlet.
This is the latest configuration idea:
View attachment 31891

The box washer box will likely be pushed up against the wall to the left if there is enough space. Will have to see how much room there is after the cutout for the cord.
This is the rough sketch of what would be behind the washer & dryer:
View attachment 31892
The drain for the washing machine may end up having to be in the middle of the box instead of off to the side but either way it will have at least 4" for the trap arm. If the drain does have to go in the middle, I can bend the cold water line a little to go around it.

For the exterior part of the dryer vent I want to get this: Sorry! Something went wrong!
View attachment 31894
It stays closed with a magnet when there is no air blowing, but when air blows it opens up. I'm debating whether or not to get the in-wall duct piece for the extra $, but I'm pretty sure I have something somewhere that has a duct on it that I can re-use. I plan to fill in the hole for the old dryer duct with the cutout for the new one and replace the 2 vinyl siding pieces that were cut for that duct.
It looks like proper plumbing. Where did you find the plumbing pieces in Sketch Up?

It looks like proper plumbing. Where did you find the plumbing pieces in Sketch Up?
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/The plumbing box, the AAV, the bend, the sanitary tee, etc were from there. Some of the others I drew. I went with the guide I had on inner and outer diameters of PVC, drew the shapes, and then used push/pull to give them length.

I like that you have a dog/cat door. Makes life easier for everyone!
Yeah, no worrying about whether the cats or dogs want in or out & do the game holding the door open while they stand over the threshold. Funny story about one of my cats: it took him 2 years to figure out how to use the cat door to go out. It took him another 2 weeks after that to figure out it went both ways. So he'd go out and then he'd holler to be let back in. Eventually he figured out he could push it the opposite way. Although, we had one cat that was a total troll. Would sit by the door in the inside and when another cat tried to come through he'd slap the door and bonk them on the head with it or he'd grab them and scare them. Some would run back outside. Others would run away on the inside. A couple would slap the daylights out of him for it.

I'm hoping whatever viral crud I have now goes away soon so I can get working on that area.

I got a cheap shelf on clearance at Walmart and put it up. It's not quite level but I can fix that later when I do the wainscoting and the chair rail later on.
1712020433348.png
Awhile back I put in a suction cup towel bar for my washcloth. It keeps falling off so I may have to use the adhesive circles that came with it.
1712020499404.png
Now I just need to figure out where my shattaf will go.

Back