Improper plumbing & trying to remodel bathroom/laundry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

zannej

Reaction score
Countertop samples arrived today. As I expected, Mom selected Formica "Spectrum Blue". Sink for her bathroom has been ordered. A Toto lavatory that is the same diameter as hers but slightly deeper. Next step is to compare the countertop sample with paint colors to see which ones complement each other.

zannej

Reaction score
Lavatory arrived today. Box was on its side. I haven't opened it yet as I had other heavy packages to haul in and I'm too exhausted & it's dark in the front room since only 1 light works. I have it in a safe spot and tomorrow morning I'll open it up and see if there are any cracks or damage. The outer box sort of ripped when I was carrying it but it has foam corner thingies suspending the other box inside.

zannej

Reaction score
I don't have my sketchup files from the desktop on my laptop yet. Currently transferring data. But I got bored and re-built the bathroom in a newer version of Sketchup. Figured out some tricks on how to adjust colors & textures. I remembered to group elements (walls, vanity, etc) this time so it's not so sloppy. I did a rough sketch of the tall melamine laminated cabinet where we keep extra tp, bandaids, cleaning supplies, etc. I found a few models I couldn't find before-- namely the correct shower model for Mom's bathroom. I realized the toilet I was using had some funky thing going up the back wall. So I found a toilet with a better bowl and spliced the tank from the other one on to it to make a Frankenstein toilet. I'm sure it's not the right size. I found a curved shower rod (sadly, no double curved one available from 3dwarehouse) and used it to substitute the double curved. Added in some grab bars but didn't adjust the size.

I didn't feel up to messing with redoing the side shelves though. I'm waiting to get the files off the portable drive when it's done transferring.

Anyway, this is what I came up with thus far:
1641748778655.png
Wall color displays darker and greener than it should for some reason. But the vanity is about right. I got the floor to match a little better. Added a couple towel bars (only approximations of the real ones) trash can, curtains, soap dish (representing the soap dish/toothbrush holder mounted to the wall), softsoap etc. I think it looks ok.

zannej

Reaction score
I ordered windows for laundry room and guest bathroom. Mostly need it for guest bathroom. They were on sale and it was the last day of sale. ETA at time of ordering was March 28. They e-mailed me to say it will be June 3 at the earliest. We'll have to see I suppose the windows can be added after remodeling if need be. I can leave the shower enclosure uncut until the window arrives and then cut it to fit the new window. Assuming we an get stuff worked on before June.

zannej

Reaction score
I got my friend to move the wood block that kept shifting to a spot where it holds still better. He didn't realize the old pipe was where the switch had been sitting before. Took the mounting bracket off of one of the old pressure switches and used it on the block. Got my new hammer drill attachment to drive the 3" screws in. Hasn't jammed since (and I'm about to go check it again).
pumpfloatleverMarch11-2022_1.jpg pumpfloatleverMarch11-2022_2.jpg pumpfloatlevermountMarch11-2022.jpg

Still need to get some sort of protective cover over the switch/cables because the default cover won't fit the way the wires are running.

zannej

Reaction score
Wood block had to be trimmed in the area where the rod moves because the bottom nut kept getting stuck. No pics yet.

I also mentioned in another thread that I annihilated the blackberry bushes out back. That gets me closer to being able to fix stuff up back there.

My To Do List:
  • Finish cleaning up debris in yard
  • Finish connecting PEX to kitchen sink & outdoor faucet
  • Landscape to prevent weeds & nettles from growing back
  • Install awning over back door
  • Finish demo on old bathroom
  • Repair subfloor/doorsill
  • Install new back door
  • Rough in plumbing
  • Install new flooring in laundry room (former bathroom)
  • Update electrical
  • Install insulation and wall panels
  • Paint
  • Move washer & dryer to new laundry room
  • Install flooring in bathroom
  • Install new fixtures in bathroom
  • Install new windows
  • Add landings to back doors and get proper steps

Hoping my friend will be able to help more now that he got his vision back in his left eye (hit his head hard and it moved the blood clots)

zannej

Reaction score
The windows arrived. They are MUCH lighter than I expected. Double pane southern exposure rated with argon. They wouldn't do the custom order for tempered glass so I will put a film on the window (and put a small curtain over the window area). I already have some decorative film to put on but I'm thinking of putting on something like this https://www.amazon.com/S8MC-Window-Security-Safety-Clear/dp/B00FRLJTZO/ to reinforce the windows. I know it is supposed to go on the outside but I'll be putting it on the inside.

These are the windows I got (they were on sale for under $100 each): https://www.lowes.com/pd/ReliaBilt-...ment-White-Single-Hung-Window-Half/5001996943

1655051885064.png

zannej

Reaction score
I got bored again. Not enough energy to clean but enough to sketch my bathroom roughly.
sketchupmybathroomroughlayout.png
I haven't bothered to do cutouts until I know more about the measurements and I roughly placed things. Omitted the chest of drawers, towel bars, faucets, mirrors, etc. I'm thinking of getting a small stool or bench seat opposite the toilet (but bumped over so its too close) or a laundry hamper or something. A seat would be nice-- especially one with storage.

I'm still trying to decide what sort of surround to put around the cast iron tub. I may have to cave and get some waterproof drywall to put up around the tub so I can do a glue-up surround.

As for Mom's bathroom, I have better sketches using the colors from the samples of the spectrum blue formica, a wall color she liked, and the behr deep river paint. It is very blue but she loves blue

Here is a closeup of the side shelf above the vanity. There is a thick heavy mirror sitting on top of it as well as a messed up lamp and other junk.
sksideshelf1.png
top view of the room (with the new colors). Right now the walls look like the ones in my bathroom but with green stripes instead.
sktopnorthview1.png
skeastview1.png
sklongshelves1j.jpg
skwestview1.png
This is what it would generally look like with the shelves unpainted (mom didn't like the white vanity):
skvanityshelftoilet2j.jpg
I've since added the electrical outlet above the vanity (in the exterior wall) but haven't done screenshots yet. I wonder if I can tap in to that to add a vanity light above. Even something small and lightweight would be nice because, other than the cruddy lamp on the side, the only light is hte ceiling one (that does not work).

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I saw a house in a magazine once that had a hinged mirror that covered the window when using it but swung out of the way when not needed. As I think about it · · · it may have been a built in medicine cabinet door when closed. Mirrored shutters might work in a small space · · · anyway, just musing · · · I like the unique.

Last edited:

zannej

Reaction score
Mirrored shutters would be a neat idea. Not sure if she'd agree to it. I need to find new curtains for her bathroom. The fugly green ones have to go. Maybe I could clean up the ones from the kitchen (if I can find them).

I can't use my laptop for the time being so I don't have access to the sketchup files from the laptop at the moment. I need to find my portable drive. I think it fell under my desk. This computer is having some issues-- saying it isn't genuine since I had to clone the drive. Hoping I can find the code to fix that.

After I get the adapter to charge my laptop I'm going to try to do some cleaning. .

zannej

Reaction score
I forgot to clarify that I did not draw some of the objects. I got the toilet (which I modified- spliced together two different ones), the shower, shower rod, shower curtain, grab bars, towel bars, applique, toilet paper roll, sink, faucet, soap dish, magazine holder, laundry basket, window, curtains, trash can, and vanity light from 3dwarehouse. I drew the room, modified the color pattern of the floor, drew the vanity, shelves, tp holder, and large cabinet. The TP holder and side shelf near the vanity took the most work since they have curves.
Oh, I also didn't make the door. That was from 3dwarehouse bc I'm lazy. LOL.