Inactive furnace concern

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I painted a room about 3 months ago, and the smell won't go away, so I'm not able to use the natural gas furnace this year. I tore out all the drywall, and that didn't help.

Assuming my smell problem is gone next year when it's time to use the AC, I'm wondering if the system will be cranky that it hasn't been used for almost a year.

In my mind is the obvious: It's paused, it has no idea, and it should work just fine. That's just my mind though, which is under educated about HVAC.

Thanks

When we bought our house it had set cold for three winters northern Pa with no power at all. It has a gas furnace and I fired it up and it worked fine so did the gas water heater. Now the plumbing was a different matter.

How are you planning on heating? How strong are the smells? I think I would turn it on and set it high and bake that paint dry.

Thanks, that's reassurance I need.

I picked up a portable space heater that I will drag around to the 2 rooms I spend time in.

The drywall is all gone, so I can't figure out why the smell is still there, but I can't use that room for anything.

OP,
I spent most of my working life as a decorating contractor and never encountered such a situation. Exactly what brand and type of paint did you use?

Well, I had to turn on the furnace because I can't find a portable heater that doesn't have the intense baked in Chinese chemical smell. So far, the furnace filter is taking care of any smell.

Back