Increasing light pass-through, max gaps

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvnpeas

Reaction score
I have a second-story deck that blocks too much sun to the deck below. It's time to replace to the decking, and I was thinking of using 2x2 pressure-treated with large gaps, instead of the current 2x6 cedar.

Any thoughts on the maximum gaps for this setup?

Glass would be nice but looks expensive and most likely you would require a lot of restructuring.

The trouble with gaps beyond the obvious part of women getting their heals stuck in the gaps and kids being afraid to walk out on it because they can see down, is with the thickness of the planks light is still blocked if the light is coming in at any angle other than almost straight down.

I really don’t see more gaps helping a lot more but sure you will get some. The wood will shrink some so what were you thinking of quarter inch gaps? I don’t think I would go wider than that and I would use 2x4 I think.

Lighting below might be simpler.

A wider gap is always going be where that dropped steak knife goes. I think maybe a better solution is to either make the upper deck smaller or the lower deck larger.
I'm a guy so I'd rather have the larger deck.

Back