Induct Fan Booster

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthornton

inspector gadget
Reaction score
My furnace - a/c is in the basement. We added a bathroom on the second floor, and our pluming/HVAC guy ran a duct up inside the wall to the bathroom. The problem is that there is BARELY any air coming out of it, although the other second floor air vents have really good air flow. He suggested installing a booster fan in the duct, and when he checked the local supply house, they gave a price of over $200 (this is a 7" round duct in the basement - which transitions into a rectangle [3" X 14" or so .... fits between the wall studs]. I checked Home Depot and Lowe's online, and found duct booster fans rangin in price from about $25 on up to over $300. 1) Is there really a lot of difference between the lower priced and the higher priced fans? (I'm looking at 6" and 7" round duct fans). 2) Should I pay for a more expensive fan, or can I get by with a lower priced one? 3) Can any of you personally recommend any particular model? :confused: I need to keep expenses as low as possible; but I need a fan that is dependable, moves air well, comes on along with the central unit blower, and will last for years. Thanks guys!

That’s a wide range of price and I don’t know the answer to your question but will give it a bump as it was posted in the general section and may have been missed by the heating guys.

Have you check out the return air location is and the gap under the door. The problem with this plan is it can work to well and with pressure in the bathroom the flapper valve on the bathroom fan will open and you are heating the great outdoors.

Of these eight chosen in order

http://www.nextag.com/duct-booster-fans/products-html

Half cost between $61 and $160, max/min values = $160/#29, avg value = $83.

Chosing at random should give better CFM per dollar per ductsize plus maybe you should get a variable speed unit. I got a two speed and it gives me some warmth into my slab-mounted family room with some increase in noise level.

Last edited:
thanks, guys! :clap: Neal, thanks for the advice. At this time, I don't have a door on this bathroom. That's the next project ... a pocket door. Wuzzat, THANK YOU! I will check those out and see what could work.

thanks, guys! :clap: Neal, thanks for the advice. At this time, I don't have a door on this bathroom. That's the next project ... a pocket door. Wuzzat, THANK YOU! I will check those out and see what could work.

Back