Inlet and Outlet Hot on H/W Heater?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
My mother had a plumber come over to look at replacing a leaking outdoor hose outlet. He told her the hot water heater (several years old) also should be replaced; he says both the inlet and outlet are hot, indicating internal problems.

I'm going over there tomorrow for some other items and will be able to check this myself. If indeed the inlet and outlet are hot, what does this mean is wrong with the heater?

Thanks,

vince

The dip tube takes the cold water to the bottom of the tank, if this is missing the cold water mixes with the hot at the top of the tank and you get water, not as hot. Often when this happens the homeowner will have turned up the heat. The 3rd and 4th number in the serial number is usually the year it was made, depending on age, it might be worth fixing.

As standard practice, I write the date of installation on the heater using Sharpie. This eliminates guess work. BTW, if both lines feel equally warm then the dip tube is shot and the heater needs replacing.

The inlet line should also have a downward n-shaped bend to prevent convection (heat trap) to the water supply line whether city or well, just after the shut-off valve.

Gary

As standard practice, I write the date of installation on the heater using Sharpie. This eliminates guess work. BTW, if both lines feel equally warm then the dip tube is shot and the heater needs replacing.

If no water has been used for a long time both pipes will be equally warm, with or with out the dip tube being in good shape. So just warm pipes will not be a good rule on it's own, there would have to be a time line difference for the cold water pipe to warm up.

When the dip tube is gone and the house has anti-scauld shower, the homeowner will complain about cooler shower and or has turned up the heat or has adjusted the shower.

All I am saying is watch out for sales gimmicks.:hide::beer:

Thanks, guys, for the great advice and info. Mom is 76 and has been in the hospital for tests for the last week. The contractor has been fine in the past, but it never hurts to learn about what to do. I'll check out the heater tomorrow since she has been using it, and see if there is a difference in temperature between the two pipes.

Any comments on particular brands of water heaters that are known to be of better or worse quality?

vince

Last edited:
Back