Insinkerator air switch question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
We had our countertops replaced, and bought an air switch for the disposal. The installer said I’d need an extension for the switch because it would be to short. I bought the extension, but then looked at the switch and countertop, and I don’t see why I would need an extension.
The tops are 1 1/8” quartz, and the switch is 1 3/4” long with the nut flush with the bottom of the threads. I reached back where the switch is going, and obviously the top thickness doesn’t change.
What am I missing?
Also, this is an Insinkerator brand switch; any reason it wouldn’t work with other disposal brands? It’s just an air operated outlet....

Attachments

• 2421E601-07E5-44B7-B0BF-754C03EFF12B.jpeg
    2421E601-07E5-44B7-B0BF-754C03EFF12B.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2
You are not missing anything. As long as the nut goes on and holds it that’s all that is needed. If the module box the hose plugs into has power in and a plug out to the disposal it should work with any brand.

They sell aftermarket ones on line and they are not brand specific.

Ok, thanks for the info. When I asked what I was missing I meant I’m confused at what he’s saying about the length being to short.
I just need to talk to him when he comes back over to cut the hole and finish up.
Good to hear it works with any disposal too.
Thanks again.

In budgeting for contingency, he may have anticipated an obstruction not placed yet.

Back