Install siding on cinder block

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Guyod
That's what I wanted to find out. Getting a little more insulation on the corners of the house is about all the benefit of not using 2 x4s and 2 x 6s as far as I can tell. I will go with the contractor that is using the 2 x4s and 2 x 6s.

The screws aren't going go pull out. one screw has an pull out holding force of 500lb to 1500lb and shear weight load of 800lb 1900lb. Depending on screw size and depth. That along with the glue they arent going anywhere..
Furring strips arent thick enough to hold alot especially with the extra weight of the insulated siding. and I still dont know how it works with the 2'' foam board.

If your that concerned with insulation you might want to look into a spray on type of insulation.. there is going to be alot of gaps with the foam insulation.. i dont know if it can be sprayed on the outside of a wall its normally done inside. maybe someone here knows more about it..

And a house wrap vapor barrior would be a good idea if your stick with the foam.. the contractor wont like that idea because he wont be able to see his studs anymore but it will help stop air flow.

Lets collect your thoughts....:eek:

The spray foam is a really expensive idea....and for a block home is not cost effective. You need to get as much insulation board on the outside as possible. The less separations between a piece of wood and the styrofoam board and joints the better. The issue is also with your window flange depths, soffit, and rake boards. The more you build out from the existing wall...the more issues you deal with. The contractor with the 2x4 deal sounds like the better idea, if it will fit. The firring strips will hold, but not as well.
There are also vertical sidings with insulation inside which will need less nailing strips attached to the block, assuming you have 8 foot walls.

Go see some of their work and talk to past clients...that is what I always do for my customers.:)

And remember...it's vinyl siding and really easy to repair anything underneath.;)

A 1200 sf home with 8' walls will cost about a $1000 to cover it in 2'' foam just for supplies probably another $1000 for labor.. Just To have a min. of 1800 feet of seams for cold air to get it. if its more than 8 feet height of siding that is another seam all around the house 200 ft.. How much more could spray on be for a basically seamless insulation?

This stuff is about 15 times fiberglass for interior insulation of the same r-value.
Just to get an Icynene truck to my job is $600, then the other work begins.
The issue is also that the insulation needs some breathing room on the exterior, Insulation board is not as tight, does not have an uneven surface to prepare....I don't know how you would get it flat without some sort of guides...then it would not be seamless anyway.
And you need to find a company in your area with closed cell foam, like styrofoam is.
Try www..sprayfoam.org
or
www.sprayfoam.com. for more info.

If you want an option why don't you try stone. They have this new product Cut River Rock it is the real thing not fake. Goes over concrete, board wall, cinderblock you get my drift. Take a look http://www.cutriverock.com
Have a good one
edgepicker

UHHHHH???? We seem to be running around in circles guys. I don't plan to insulate on the outside! And there is paneling on the inside so hopefully the "fur" strips under it are "secure?"!..... so I can insulate inside.

Furring seems to be questionable as to how to secure them on old block! So I've decided against them.

How would you install "composition" panels on the exterior walls? Glue? Nails? Screws? Or a combination?

Thanks...

Terry

Sorry about that someone else jumped in on your thread asking there own questions on siding cider block.

Im not familiar with composition panels . is that what is put on commercial buildings?

Sorry 'bout that! Remember I'm the old dummy.

By composition I mean products like Hardie and others that are a wood/laminate/masonary(?) "man-made" panel. OR.. a better wood panel. Anything but vinyl!

Thanks,

Terry

Back