Installing a non-standard sized door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
Hi, I have a room with a awkward set of sliding doors. I would like to replace it with a standard hinged door. The opening is 79 3/4 H x 29 3/4 W. What size prehung door should i select to fit properly in that opening?

Thanks

A nominal 30" door is probably an actual 29-3/4" door. The clearance around a door is supposed to be the thickness of a nickel.

You will have to open it up and re-frame little. You have a standard 30" door, the rough framing for a pre-hung 30" door is 32" wide and 82 1/2 high. Your framing will be about 4" to high but not really a bad thing but you do want a double stud on each side of the opening.

a 28" door will fit fine with the exception of the height. Cut back some drywall, raise the door header and you should be in business. I know, easier said than done.

a 28" door will fit fine with the exception of the height. Cut back some drywall, raise the door header and you should be in business. I know, easier said than done.

The top is framed higher to allow for track and wheels.

thanks for the responses. does hd or lowes carry prehung 78x28 doors?

If your measurements are from the existing finished opening you might want to strip off the existing trim or sheetrock to see what's under it and what your real rough opening is.
I replaced a bifold that someone just scabbed a bunch of scrap boards in to make a smaller r/o for it.

This the framing that is there now.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1vuz1_hgo[/ame]

Back