Installing an RV awning

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I am moving to a new house... So here is one more thing.

I have a 1975 camping trailer that is scrap. The awning on it is still in good condition. I was thinking of putting it on the side of the house over the deck for some shade. The house has vertical vinyl siding. What do I need to do to prep the house in the areas that the awning will attach to?

A photo of the building would help.

Attach it to the framing and install a flashing above it.

In most cases the best way would be to remove the siding at the top of the wall. Install a 2 X 6, and wrap it in coil stock, or True 1X vinyl lumber, so you'll have something to attach it to.
Install J molding, and reinstall the siding.
While the sidings off use some painters tape on the siding left on the wall to mark where the studs are.
Use 3" long ceramic coated decking screws to attach it.

In most cases the best way would be to remove the siding at the top of the wall. Install a 2 X 6, and wrap it in coil stock, or True 1X vinyl lumber, so you'll have something to attach it to.
Install J molding, and reinstall the siding.
While the sidings off use some painters tape on the siding left on the wall to mark where the studs are.
Use 3" long ceramic coated decking screws to attach it.

I was thinking this is the way I should be doing it. It sounds like a lot of work, but once it is done, I will prevent rot from installing it.

Back