Installing ceiling fan when stud is at the edge of the hole?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptremblay

Reaction score
I bought a Ceiling Fan Brace and Box Kit thinking it would be a cinch to install, but I've run into some issues:

1) the distance between the 2 studs is not wide enough to fit the brace (that little chip in the ceiling is me trying to force it in there).

2) I finally managed to wedge it there, but realized that because the stud is right at the edge of the hole there's no way I'll be able to install the box because of the legs of the brace.

My question is: what would be the best alternative to using a brace in this case?

Thank you for any advice!

PE1ovNF.jpg

Welcome to the site. I found a vidio on how it works.
They just forgot to mention that if you have an old light box, it will be right beside the joist.
The only thing that comes to mind is filling that hole and moving over a few inches but you have to be sure you have enough wire to get there.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKJiEimqJ0[/ame]

Perhaps, you could turn the feet up on that end, take care to position it to the right depth, it is the lumps on the end that contact the joist that do the work anyway.

Although that kit looks like a neat product, it just may not be right for this application. I'm pretty sure that you can find an old work bracket that has better clearance beside the stud.

Another thought is you may not need the kit since you can fasten directly to the stud. But I haven't installed a ceiling fan like that and i don't know if torque would be an issue if only fastened on one stud

Been here, done that ... Get your ceiling box and drill two hole in to where the stud is.

Thread your wiring into the box. Shoot two 1 5/8" screws directly thru the holes and into the stud.

Outcome is stronger than an expensive fan brace anyway.

Celebrate how smart you are ....

BRAIN.JPG

I liked Villa’s post all except the photo, as that would have been my suggestion as well.

The only thing I might ad having hung maybe 25 fans in my life. Is there is fans and then there is Fans. I have put some up that you hold in one hand and have the other hand free to hook it up. And there are some that weigh a ton and take two people. The light ones I don’t have any issue hanging on a old sturdy light box. But these heavy ones I don’t even like the hangers like shown and have opened the ceiling and pit some new wood in to really take the weight. They sell big round decorative plates that cover up about 18 inches above the fan. If you had to move the box over a little you could just patch in the drywall and use one of them to cover up the repair.

Bud, being much older than all of us, is spot-on. I have installed big fans by installing a 2X6 above it to guarantee strength. Some of those fans will blow the cat out the door ...

CAT.jpg

Back