Installing digital thermostat

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabman531

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a TempRite digital thermostat, replacing a 20-some-year-old mercury one. The house runs on a heat pump in the attic, with an A/C unit outside.
Attached is a picture of the old themostat...my problem is, from this picture I'm not sure which wires are supposed to go where on the new stat. I've also attached a page in the new stat's manual which assigns labels to the functions of the old stat's wires (these labels I tag on the wires with stickers).
Based on both pictures, can anyone please take a stab at what labels I might attach to the old stat's wires? Thanks in advance.

manual.jpg

stat.jpg

(Would delete this second post if able, accidentally posted picture twice)

Last edited:
what is the make of the heat pump and can you remove the base plate for the old stat and post a pic of the remaining wires coming out of the wall?

Thanks for responding. Heat pump is Lennox GS18Q3-75-8. Photo attached.

thermo-wires.jpg

Connect the wires coming out of the wall to the terminals on the new stat.
Wire Terminal
Red RH
Green G
Yellow Y
White W

However, this wires coming out of the wall do not appear to be typical combination of heat pump wires.

Worked well after moving around a couple jumpers on thermostat (not shown)... thank you!

Back