Installing hardwood over laminate (solved)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm preparing to install engineered, glue-together hardwood planks in the house we just bought. It currently has textured laminate, which is well installed and solid (it's only a few years old) with a good underlayment. I'll be replacing the baseboards, and the thresholds are all low enough to accommodate another layer of flooring, so I figured I'd just float the hardwood over the existing floor.

I know I should be sure each section of laminate is clean before I cover it. However, should I be laying anything down between the laminate and hardwood? I'm not too concerned about moisture, as this is an upper floor (we're on a hillside, with the upper floor at entry level). And if anything, won't the laminate serve as an extra moisture barrier?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

That is not a chance I would take. Some future wet issue like a small roof leak, and you will be taking both out because the engineered is stable but the lam. will never dry out and cause all kinds of problems.

If you're willing to take a chance on the lam not getting wet, go for it. How heavily textured is the existing floor? You may find that you have to apply some fill to get it smooth before installing anything over it. But all that info should be covered by the floor makers installation instructions. It's very broad question and there are variables that we don't have.

Thanks! I think the time- and labor-saving outweighs the (minimal) risks, esp. since we have lots of cabinetry on the existing floor.

Hmm—I'd mark this thread "SOLVED", but apparently you can't edit the title of threads you've started. Odd, never had that problem in other forums.

I will add "solved" to your title, but normally, when someone gets the answer they need, they just say "thanks" and the post will settle down to the bottom.

You do realize that when you installing one floating floor over another floating floor, you have no warranty at all? As a flooring installer, I would get sued and lose if I did that. It will fail eventually.

Back